Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knowledge77 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2011, 10:38 AM
    Contract for deed Indiana question
    Does a contract for deed have to be recorded in Indiana? And who is responsible and is there a statue or law requiring this document to be recorded within a certain time. Thanks
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 4, 2011, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by knowledge77 View Post
    Does a contract for deed have to be recorded in Indiana? And who is responsible and is there a statue or law requiring this document to be recorded within a certain time period. Thanks
    No, but if it's not recorded, the owner could sell it to someone else and you would be out of luck. It appears that the following statute answers your question:

"IC 32-21-3-3
    Conveyances requiring recording
    Sec. 3. A conveyance of any real estate in fee simple or for life, a conveyance of any future estate, or a lease for more than three (3) years after the making of the lease is not valid and effectual against any person other than:
    (1) the grantor;
    (2) the grantor's heirs and devisees; and
    (3) persons having notice of the conveyance or lease;
    unless the conveyance or lease is made by a deed recorded within the time and in the manner provided in this chapter."
    knowledge77 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2011, 11:57 AM
    Thank so much you AKLawyer
    One more question...
    I am trying to exit this contract of deed (due to major partnership issue) , but the seller is requiring me to sign a quite claim deed (they said it will release me from liability) back to them? Is the legal? Since nothing has been recorded regarding this contract of deed?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 4, 2011, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by knowledge77 View Post
    Thank so much you AKLawyer
    One more question....
    I am trying to exit this contract of deed (due to major partnership issue) , but the seller is requiring me to sign a quite claim deed (they said it will release me from liability) back to them? Is the legal? Since nothing has been recorded regarding this contract of deed?
    Hello again, k:

What?? Are you two timing me?

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contract for Deed Seller has not filled contract [ 9 Answers ]

I need to know where we stand, this is very frustrating for us. The proposal was land (Wyoming), and refurbished trailer in the country. We put $2,000 down and went to an escrow company to fill out the paperwork for closing etc. "Contract for Deed" The contract stated we would take possession...

Buyers name on the DEED if I'm selling on Contract for deed [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have to put the buyers name on the DEED if I'm selling on Contract for deed. I don't really want to being that the house is still financed. I 'm understanding that the deed will change when the property is paid off.

Contract for Deed - Indiana [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are building a house, and are getting ready to list our house on the market. We have only lived in this house a couple years and have not built "enough" equity. We already have a rental property that has went extremely well for us. This house is a little larger than I really want to...

Quit Claim Deed/Contract for Deed [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, I have posted before. I had a contract for deed piece of property, and have myself been going back and forth with a lawyer and the client. Trying to make a offer to end this nightmare. I offered them 1000.00 in 10 payments and at the end of that to sign a quitclaim deed or 500.00 and...

View more questions Search