Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curtisg2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2011, 09:08 PM
    Mercury outboard firing delima driving me crazy
    Please help!!
    I have a 1984 Mercury 90hp Inline 6 outboard (serial #A176423) that's driving me crazy right in the middle of fishing season. I am not getting fire to #3 and #5 plugs. I replaced both #3 and #5 coils which seemed to remedy the problem until the next trip out. It seems both cylinders only get fire sporadically; all other cylinders will jump a ½” gap w/ a nice blue flame. It appears that #3 and #5 coils run to different switch boxes. Could it be that both switch boxes have gone bad or does it sound more like a stator problem? All wires and grounds appear to be good. I ran the entire electrical test / ohms test that I could find in the repair manual and all checks were good. Their was no test recommended for the switch boxes. My switch boxes are 332-7778-1a. If it is the switch boxes will a 332-7778a12 interchange?

I really appreciate any help offered very much!!

Thanks,
    Curtis

Check out some similar questions!

Mercury 50hp 2-stroke outboard is overheating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Mercury 50horsepower 2-stroke outboard engine. I have replaced the thermostat and water pump. The engine quickly overheats. Some water does come out the outlet tube, but not as much as used to when it was new. I need to know what else to check to diagnose this problem. Any suggestions...

How do you set the timing on a 40 hp Mercury outboard [ 3 Answers ]

While driving the boat to the launch, it started, ran fine until almost there. Then the overheat alarm went off and the engine quit. There was water coming out of the port so I think the water pump is OK. It won't crank over until it' cooled down. Now it cranks over but won't start. Checked...

Mercury outboard 4 stoke [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Mercury 115 4 stroke fuel injected outboard that won't fire. Checked spark plugs - getting spark. Checked fuel lines, no leaking, bulb is hard. Spayed ether and engine fires but cuts off. Checked fuel to fuel pump and check all fuses. Boat ran great 2 weeks ago and I started in my...

1984 Mercury Outboard 4 Cylinder 50HP problem [ 0 Answers ]

Ok,the motor idles good but when you try to get to full throttle the boat is hard to come out of the water and will not plane off like it used to. It seems like it will not hit full rpm's. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.