Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Jan 25, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Model ship building: Getting started
    So I've decided to take up a hobby, and I've mostly decided on model ship building... old sailing ships, mainly, but warships up through WWII era are interesting as well. When I was a kid, I built a few model cars... nothing really complex, and cars never really held much of a fascination for me so I didn't stick with them (although thanks to a glue incident, I did once stick TO one of them... ). I have plenty of patience and focus, and developing both of those traits a bit more is a goal of this hobby.

What I'm looking for is a bit of basic information:

1) Aside from the basic stuff (glue, paint, brushes, and plenty of change for the Swear Jar), what will I need to get started?
    2) How can one judge the complexity of a model kit and make a selection that's appropriate to his skill and experience?
    3) Any recommendations on particularly interesting ships to work on?
    4) Any tips on displaying the finished projects (other than ship in a bottle, which is a bit past the level of insanity I want to devote to this hobby for the moment).

Thanks in advance for any help.

James
    Maveryck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 11:59 PM
    Nosnosna,

I recently got started in model ship building and what I've found, other than the expense of the kits and tools needed, is that model ships come in four levels. Level 1 being the easiest and level four the most complex - think about putting together a model of the USS Constitution or the USS Constellation (not the aircraft carrier) both of these ship kits run anywhere from $300 to $500 depending on where you purchase them. However, I'm not ready to tackle them just yet.

I would recommend starting with a level 1, you can purchase wooden ship kits at your local hobby store. I bought a wooden model kit of a Viking ship for around $30 and some basic tools. Some of the level ones are higher in price, but from what I've seen they're usually under $100. Other level one kits include a lobster boat, canoes and other assorted boats.

Check out naturecoast.com, they sell complete beginner kits to include tools, a plank bender and a couple books on model ship building -- though be prepared to part with some $$$$

Hope this helps you.

Maveryck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite model quiet guard 7 model 665. [ 12 Answers ]

Six month old dishwasher. Worked fine until today - won't start. LIghts are on and control panel seems to be working OK. The "Clean" indicator is flashing in intervals of 7 flashes and then pauses. When I select the "Start" button it flashes red 3 times and then nothing. The "Drain/Cancel"...

Passenger Ship Records from the 1800s [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! I'm hoping there is someone out there that can help or at least point me in the right direction. My great, great grandfather came to the Americas from France and I would like to know if there is a way to research the old ship logs. I know many companies kept their ancient logs ;) and...

Cruise Ship Job [ 1 Answers ]

In trying to obtain a Cruise Ship job I was asked to obtain the seamans or seafarers Discharge Book. Could you define what this book is and how do I go about trying to obtain one so that I can get this job.

Orka following a ship? [ 2 Answers ]

Why could a Killer Whale follow a ship? A friend of mine told me a story about an orca, following his ship for 16 days during the course through Atlantic up to Gibraltar, where it turned back... Only following, like playing, singing for all these nights, a "song" that was more like a baby...

View more questions Search