Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sgallagher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Spybot search and destroy error during check?
    Unexpected error in fixing problems (Cannot create file "C:\WINDOWS\System32\dirvers\etc\hosts", Access is denied)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 3, 2011, 06:45 AM
    Sounds like Hosts is set to read only.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

May 3, 2011, 05:54 PM
    Go to the host file at the path mentioned and open it with notepad (you might have to select notepad manually) see if there is a check box in the READ ONLY box. If there is, you can uncheck it to let spybot do its thing. But if your infection is setting the read only function, it might just reset it before spybot can get anything done. Often infections protect themselves by limiting your access to their favorite infection sites as well as putting themselves into System Restore points so they can restore themselves. You can also try running spybot from safe mode where only limited protections are available to the infection although you might still have to attempt to uncheck the read only function there as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check disk error [ 2 Answers ]

My laptop does check disk at the beginning of bootup and only gets as far as 5 percent complete. I leave it alone in hopes that it will complete but it never does. I have even left it on all night and nothing happens. Why won't it finish and is there anything I can do?:confused:

Spybot Search and Destroy issue [ 2 Answers ]

My computer was infected with spyware so I downloaded Spybot S&D. I used it and got rid of the spyware it detected. Although the spyware I detected and deleted with Spybot S&D always comeback in a few hours. I don't even have to go online and the same Spyware infections will be detected. What...

Google Search Results Error [ 9 Answers ]

I ran a search for "gerry mangar" to see if a quick answer popped up for this thread, and Google returned "about 134" results, NONE of which have that exact term. It seems like starting within the past couple weeks my Google results have seemed odd. Could be something I've just never...

View more questions Search