Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjethro00 Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Jan 25, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Overtime
    The company I used to work for was on a bi-monthly payroll, which was the 1st -15th, and 16th - end of the month.

My question is, I was paid for a consistent 106-108 hours every pay period (4hrs SU, 8hrs M-TH, 2 1/2 F, 7hrs Sat, *A couple times an extra 30min-1 1/2hr were put in a week)

Many times I did not receive any over time, if I did receive overtime it was typically 3-6 hours, shouldn't I be owed more overtime?

I was told by the company that there format worked like this;

Example is January 2007;
    1st (Mon) - 6th (Sat) 1 week
    7th (Sun) - 13th (Sat) 1 week
    14th (Sun) - 15th (Mon) - applied to next pay period

16th (Tue) - 20th (Sat) 1 week
    21st (Sun) - 27th (Sat) 1 week
    28th (Sun) - 31st - applied to next pay period (Feb 1st-15th)

I've spoken to companies who use the same pay period, and there pay period is much easier to follow, and days do not carry over to the next pay period/month. Is this company wrong, and could I possibly be owed money?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 25, 2007, 02:05 PM
    A payweek needs to be specifically defined. Either Sun-Sat, Mon-Sun, etc. Once that is defined, your OT calc will be based on the hours for that week.

The payroll period and the payweek can be different things.
    sjethro00 Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Jan 25, 2007, 02:16 PM
    I'm told it was Sun-Sat, this is why for the example above, you'll nottice that they run Sun-Sat when possible. The above format was how I was told it works, as every time I did question them about the issue, I was given different answers. I have had issues with them concerning the amount of pay/hours being correct, and on more then one occasion my pay check was off by $40+ and I had to bring it to there attention so they would correct it, this is why I question the overtime.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Overtime laws vary by nation ( canada, US, Iran? )

And if in the US by state. There are many business and industry that are exempt from overtime and don't pay it.

And depending on the state, overtime may be looked at by the day, or by the week, or by the pay period.

You need to sit down with HR and have them explain it, and if you believe it is wrong you can contact the department of labor for a review of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer owes overtime [ 5 Answers ]

My former employer never pays overtime. They are a small, family business who pays only cash for OT, as well as improper business practices as cash sales undeclared etc. My brother still is there and is owed years of correct OT- I told him to report them to IRS, and Labor but he knows he will be in...

401K Overtime [ 2 Answers ]

Just a query as to how a company with a 401K plan can manipulate the plan so that an hourly employee's contributions are limited to a 40 hour work week and overtime earnings are not considered or calculated into their contributions? This doesn't seem to be a fair practice to me. Anybody know of the...

View more questions Search