Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wlor255 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2011, 11:24 AM
    Suspended Licence + Work + Probation
    Hello, I know this is going to sound dumb but I really need a "honest" and "helpful" answer. When I was 18 (Roughly 10 months ago) I stole a car and I didn't have my licence at all and I got caught during the act, yes I know it was a VERY VERY bad decision of me to do so but I really need help. I was put into 2 years of probation and I have to pay around $3000 and until this week I have just landed a full-time job. My license if suspended for 2 years which is until December 12, 2012 I want to ask if I can get my licences at all quick because I'll be working 4PM-2AM and it's either I will have to walk from home to there and back or I use a crappy bike of mine ATM. It's 10 hours/day and 50 hours/week + overtime and I know that I will be overwhelm when I start walking/biking back home. Can you answer me if I can talk to my attorney to get my licence just to go to work and back even if I never had a licences but it's been suspended? Please do again give an honest and helpful if you can! I also live in Wisconsin!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 2, 2011, 11:42 AM

Your lawyers can't do squat... the COURT ordered it taken away. They can draft a motion, but that's going to cost you money... AND its going to take time, with no guarantee they will do anything.

You have the means to walk or ride a bike. I'd recommend doing that. Or get someone to give you a lift at least one way.

Also nothing that involves the court... is either quick... or cheap. Quick for them is months.

Trust me... it could be worse.

Try riding 20 miles to work... then riding 20 miles home after 8 hours.. (yeah, 40 miles a day as a non-athlete).. then do that 5 days a week for a month... rain or shine. I have. Not because I had a suspended license, but because my car was broke and it took that long to get parts to fix it. But in the end... I did what I had to do. And yeah.. it was hard, real hard.
    wlor255 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2011, 02:35 PM
    I am going to be doing 13 miles everyday or so + I'll probably be working all week except Sundays for 10 hour+ and in Wisconsin, we get so random weather. I've also heard that... you can get a permit to be able to drive from work and from home but that's it and I was wondering if I could get one of those. Thank you for your answer also but I want to get a feedback from most people.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 2, 2011, 02:48 PM

You can try... but you said fast... and fast isn't going to happen. Its going to take time to get any answer.

A point to remember is they don't HAVE to do it. Sometimes they will, a lot of times they won't. But your lawyer is going to have to file the request... and lawyers do nothing for free.

Pro-Bono work is usually very specific and targeted. Not something like this.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 2, 2011, 04:28 PM

You want an "honest and helpful" answer. That usually means that you want someone to agree with you and don't want to hear the truth. I hope that's not the case.

My feeling is that your license was suspended for a period and that will not changed.

There is undoubtedly a hardship procedure which you could attempt with the help of your Attorney. Will it be successful? I don't know. Depends on previous convictions, other conditions of probations, whether the Judge woke up in a good mood.

In NY (where I am) when your license is suspended it remains suspended. Get a job, don't get a job, walk in the rain - the Court doesn't care.

See what your Attorney says.

I don't know how helpful your PO and the Court will be. It appears from your other thread that you have asked for a transfer and that didn't work out terribly well.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2011, 07:37 PM

There may be a possible "hardship license" it would allow you to only drive from home to work, and no where else. And only at the time of your work.

Your attorney can make a motion for this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Driving on a suspended licence [ 1 Answers ]

I was pulled over in June for driving without insurance by a cop running random plates. My insurance had lapsed and I didn't know that I didn't have it. I am making payment on those fines and had gotten insurance and everything taken care of. On Sept 10th I had a cop randomly run my plates again...

Violation of probation and driving on a suspended [ 2 Answers ]

I facing 2 warrants and would like to know what I am facing as far a jail time. The warrants are vop for dui first offense and the second one is failure to appear for driving on a suspended license. I have no previous arrest or convictions of any kind. Can someone please help me out! I am...

View more questions Search