Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ardvark50 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2004, 07:37 PM
    Broken electric lawnmower
    Tonight when I was out moving my lawn, my electric mower started to emit a smell of burning rubber and started to smoke, also, the rumble of the engine went from its usual deep, loud roar to a shriller quieter whir. I use a Craftsman 19in. Electric Lawnmower. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what the problem might be or where I could find a users or service manual for this mover. Also, after reading mgvlaw's post I began to think that the problem on mine could be explained by a bad belt (which would explain the burning rubber smell), and I was wondering how would I go about checking the belt. Thank you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2004, 07:56 PM
    Re: Broken electric lawnmower
    I am not familiar with that style mower. Likely it has a guard over the belt. It may sort of form a triangle between the center of the 2 blades and the motor. Once you have the guard off, look at the belt. If it doesn't look hopeless, hard, cracked and pieces missing, look for an adjustment. It might be a bolt you loosen and slide the motor to tighten up the belt. If the belt is shot, you might try Sears. If they give you nonsense about not having them anymore, try a hardware or automotive store.

Jul 31, 2004, 06:44 PM
    I disassembled it this afternoon and it seems there is no belt, the engine is bolted directly to the blade. The only thing that I could find wrong with it is that in the mass of copper wire that spins between the magnets in the motor one of the copper strands was severed. Could this be the problem?
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2004, 07:59 PM
    Re: Broken electric lawnmower
    It certainly would be worth trying to splice it.

Jul 31, 2004, 11:17 PM
    To splice it should I sauder or use electrical tape?
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2004, 05:46 AM
    Chances are, you do not have much extra wire to work with. Best bet might be a Sta Con or other brand of crimped connectors. If you need to, you should be able to pick up a kit with assorted connectors and a crimping tool for a couple of bucks. It is the most quick, easiest way to make secure electrical connections. The electrical wires may look bare, but actually they have a thin layer of varnish on them. You may need to scrape it off the short end the Sta Con contacts. Twisting the wires together and taping will not make the secure connection you need.

Aug 1, 2004, 04:44 PM
    I'll try it. Thanks for the input.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawnmower Help [ 10 Answers ]

My lawnmower, Murray Select w/Briggs?Stratton engine, will start but will not get up to speed. It only putt-putts and kicks out a lot of smoke. Any suggestions?

Broken electric lawn mower belt [ 9 Answers ]

I have an old Craftsman electric mower. I do not know model number, but it is 12 amp and 18 inch deck (with 2 blades not 1). It is a push mower, not self-propelled and it is side discharge. I snapped a belt (which drives one of the blades) and cannot get a replacement. The belt has the...

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

2 stroke gas in my lawnmower [ 2 Answers ]

I accidentally put 2 stroke gas in my lawnmower. My neighbor cleaned it out but it still will not start. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Electric Lawnmower (brushmower) project [ 6 Answers ]

I traded in my gas lawn mower for an electric and have never looked back. Unfortunately it can't handle my hillside tall grass clearing needs. I once tried to get a gas brushmower on the downslope (good thing I had a safety rope) and will never do that again. Weed wacking is non fun as well. I...

View more questions Search