Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tim111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2011, 10:25 AM
    I am replacing my HVAC system. 2 story home with basement.
    I am replacing my HVAC system. 2 story home with basement. Single zone. I have a 5-7 degree temperature variance between top and bottom floor. One vendor says to go up a ton and another says to go with muti speed fans. Any advice?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2011, 12:47 PM

Furnaces and fan coils equipped with ECM blower motors are designed for economical continuous fan operation, which is very effective at minimizing temperature difference from level to level in my home. Oversizing the cooling system can lead to problems with humidity control, as the cooling cycles may become too short/brief to effectively dehumidify the indoor air.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 1, 2011, 07:21 PM
    Going up is not a good idea. The unit will overcool the house, take a long cycle time and raise the humidity. Depending on solar load, window construction, attic insulation etc, 5-7 degrees is not out of the question. Keeping the fan on, although costing more money, will bring it down to 1-2 degrees. If you have separate trunk risers, you could consider a zone valve with 2 t'stats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single hvac for 2 story home [ 6 Answers ]

We are looking at purchasing a new home. Is a single system enough to cool a 2900 sq ft 2 story home? It looks like it is a newer (and large) 13 seer unit. Is it possible to convert an older home (20+ years) to zoned? Thank you! Al

Manufactured home hvac system [ 4 Answers ]

Hello to all, I kneed to know if it is possible to install a regular split system heat pump in a manufactured home,the unit says it is not intended for use in a mobile home,but could it be retrofited in fitting where the old unit was? It is a 3.5 ton split system heat pump.

Can existing HVAC system accommodate basement? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 9 year old home and am starting a basement refinishing project. I will need both heat and AC in the basement. I currently heat and cool with a heat pump. Is there a way to determine the capacity of the existing system to see if it could handle the new space? What should I be looking...

View more questions Search