Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scot79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2011, 04:45 AM
    Is it legal for an employer to pay different amounts to staff who have the same roles
    Is it legal for an employer to pay staff different wage amounts when both staff have the same roles and responsibilities?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2011, 05:43 AM

If the reason for the different wages is based on something like sex or race they might find themselves in hot water. But there's a lot of other reasons employees may have different wages too.

There's often more that goes into wages than just simply responsibilities. Like my job, I know I get paid more than some of my coworkers that have the same responsibilities. Why? Because I've been with the company longer, had more chances for raises, and always get a good raise (our raises are based on reviews where we're graded on different things and the dollar amount is determined by your score). And then there's even a few who I know have less responsibilities than me but make more. Why? Because they've been with the company way longer than me and had that many more raises over the years.

So what's making you wonder if it might be illegal?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 1, 2011, 05:57 AM
    In general, yes. Why not? An employer can reward some with higher wages for better work and more experience.

If the employer is the government, there are stricter rules and policies are clearly defined and published.
    If the employer is huge, sometimes employees band together in class actions based on civil rights like gender (Walmart).
    Civil rights can be a factor in small companies too, but it's more difficult to show a pattern of discrimination. The employer can just say that you aren't performing as well as others.
    Some companies have an employee handbook that defines policy for hiring, firing, and performance reviews and wage increases. They might even show a salary range for each job or category of job. But not exact amounts. And if no stated policy, then they can pay you what they want (at or above your state's minimum wage).
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 1, 2011, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by scot79 View Post
    Is it legal for an employer to pay staff differant wage amounts when both staff have the same roles and responsibilities?
    Hello s:

Sure it is... This is the land of the free and the home of the brave...

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2011, 07:53 AM

Yes, unless the only reason for the difference is race or sex or another protected class.

But most places pay different rates, just look at sport players,
    But like in the place I work, there are 5 people doing the same job and all of us make different pay
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2011, 01:07 PM

How do you know what others are making? Generally workers do not discuss salaries with their co-workers for this very reason.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal for a employer not to pay a salary employee for 40 hours ? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a salary employee who gets paid for a 80hr pay period. In that 80 hr period I took 16hrs vacation time. On my check I got paid for my vacation time,but I was short 8hrs pay for my regular time. Their reason for the short was the one week I did 40 hrs in 4 days instead of 5 days. My question...

Calculating daily rates of pay for staff working 6 days a week [ 0 Answers ]

Calculating daily rates of pay for staff working 6 days per week

I pay $1 for LTD premiums after taxes and employer pays rest. Is my LTD pay taxable [ 1 Answers ]

I pay $ 1 for LTD premiums after taxes. My employer pays rest of premium for LTD for me. Will my LTD checks be taxable now that I've just been granted full disability?

Legal pet deposit amounts, and non refundable carpet cleaning fee [ 1 Answers ]

Iwas quoted $1000.00 for a pet deosit in California, also I was charged a $200.00 carpet cleaning fee upon moving in to the rental this was in the lease is this legal?

Out-of-state office space used by local staff, with a sleeping room 4 staff travelers [ 1 Answers ]

Can I rent an out-of-state office space used by local staff, with a sleeping room for other staff travelers? I run a tutoring program out of state, that requires me and the other officers of the company to visit for training and managing. Instead of paying exorbitant hotel fees, if our company...

View more questions Search