Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labatts2424 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2011, 06:05 PM
    My Fiancé is stressing out about getting married
    She will say, I'm super stressed about getting married, she is sacred that I will be unhappy and she will not be able to be the wife I deserve. So I say OK lets call it off, then she says "did i ever say that i didnt want to do it, im just telling u what im feeling"
    So that was OK the 1st time, it took some time to get over it, but not less then a month aaway she still has these feelings, it really sucks, It makes me feel super depressed and Im getting no joy or excitement out of our soon to be wedding. Is this just cold feet or are we doomed to fail
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 30, 2011, 06:19 PM

She's female. All she wants to do is vent and exhale and share her feelings with her beloved.

Here's what you do: empathize with her and reflect back what she says.

SHE: I'm so scared that I will be unhappy.
    YOU: Yeah, marriage is such a huge step, isn't it. [pat or stroke her arm]

SHE: I'm so worried I won't be the wife you deserve.
    YOU: I feel the same way about being a husband. Both of us are going to have so many new responsibilities, aren't we. [hold her hands in both of hers and look her straight in the eyes]

SHE: I wonder if marriage will be a good thing for us.
    YOU: There's so much to think about, isn't there. [put your arm around her, give a little squeeze]

Each time she will vent and emote some more, so just go with the flow and continue reflecting back to her, validating her emotions.

DO NOT try to solve her problems or make her fears go away. Just acknowledge her worries -- reflect, reflect, reflect!

Apr 30, 2011, 10:10 PM
    You are so right about trying to solve the problem, I think we men are fixers and its hard to not try to do that. I will def work on just listening and not reading into it.

Apr 30, 2011, 10:10 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    You are so right about trying to solve the problem, I think we men are fixers and its hard to not try to do that. I will def work on just listening and not reading into it.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2011, 02:05 AM

I would probe a bit further and talk this through with her - ask her, what she thinks the wife you deserve should do or be. She may have a warped idea of what your expectations are and may think she has to be perfect. Reassure her.

Also, ask her why she thinks you won't be happy with her when you are marrying her because she has proven to you already that she is a good partner for you, and you are very happy with her.

I think she needs to talk through this - not for you to solve the problems or tell her she's wrong for feeling this way, but to help her with perspective and to really express what her fears are.

Remind her what you do want in a wife, and why she is the right woman for that role in your life. Why did you choose her? Tell her again - she's losing her perspective!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should you get married before your fianc? Goes off into the military [ 2 Answers ]

Well we are engaged but his ship date is in June of next year and I might see him in may before he leaves but then I might not see him until maybe 2012 and we have set our wedding date in may. So should we go to court and get married or wait until our wedding date to get legally married. Any advice...

Still in love with my now married ex fianc? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, everyone. Great site! I'm new here and I have quite the dilemma. About 7 years ago I was engaged to this great guy. We were supposed to be married on Aug. 25th, 2001, but that never happened. What happened was, about a month or so before our wedding, I cheated on him. I am normally not the...

My fiance' friend is getting married the same day [ 6 Answers ]

I found out yesterday that one of my fiance' friends is getting the married the same that we are. This totally sucks. Because two of the guys that my fiancˇ was going to ask to be groomsmen are also going to be asked my his friend. Hello problem, they can't be at both weddings. Come on first,...

Married, and still be friends with my ex fianc? [ 2 Answers ]

15 or 16 years ago, I was to be married. The wedding was called off a few weeks before the wedding. He got upset that night and said he was leaving. A year later he returned, he called me and wanted to try again. I was seeing someone else, so I told him I was in a relationship with this other...

View more questions Search