Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicetexaswoman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2011, 04:48 PM
    Isn't life too short for widowed people to have hangups/baggage?
    I became a widow last October after being married only a 1yr and 2 months. I'm now dating a wonderful man who was widowed a little over a year ago, and he was married 42 yrs. He says he still is having a hard time getting over her at certain of the year or when he opens drawers, etc. He still hasn't cleared out one of the bedrooms of her stuff. He called me back after a lengthy conversation and said he had to tell me something,"I love you", he said. Then he said he should have told me in person. I told him I loved him too. Since then he's been different, saying he needs time, space. Do you think it scared him or he scared himself? I'm not sure what to think. He doesn't want me to say "I love you" to him because he "needs time", and he says he cares for me but won't say he loves me again. I'm not pushing it at all... as we've only known each other for a short time and he says he needs to know me more... Majorly Puzzled!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 30, 2011, 05:04 PM

I suspect he suddenly felt disloyal to his deceased wife of 42 years.

Hang in there, get to know each other, don't put any pressure on him, be the delight in his life and the reason he smiles every morning when he wakes up.
    nicetexaswoman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2011, 05:11 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Thanks... that's what I wanted to do, but was just getting a little scared about the whole thing. I'll let you know what happens.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 30, 2011, 05:20 PM

Please pop in and report back now and then, and definitely let us know how it's going!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 30, 2011, 06:28 PM

Some people need more time than others to make adjustments.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2011, 06:49 PM

As a person who lost a wife, it can take a long time, even after years, there will be a click one day when you hear a special song, or pass a place where perhaps you had a first date, or a movie reminds you.

My first wife has been passed now 20 plus years, I have been remarried 12, and I still get a tear, and some sadness when certain things happen.

A year is not very long in a aspect of a long term marriage to "get over it"

I know it took my mom 2 years and she still never got rid of all of dads things
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2011, 03:55 AM
    The love and loyalty you have for someone does not negate what he feels for you.He needs closure and time. Time is a big deal.It sounds trite but its true,he needs time.
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2011, 01:22 PM
    I agree with the above, time should do it, take things in a relaxed manner and see where it goes, no pressure. Everything should be fine.

Good luck,
    Javi
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

May 2, 2011, 02:18 PM

You've already expressed your love for one another. I would go with the wait and see approach if you want something more to happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need jokes about short people. Good ones. [ 9 Answers ]

I'm short and people are always giving the lamest short jokes to me. I just want to know if anyone out there has some comedic talent rather then "hows the weather down there" and "your not short your funsized"

In life some people will and will not like you? Accepting it.how [ 2 Answers ]

OK I know that whatever you do and no matter how hard you try their will always be some people out there who will not like you even if you've never done anything to them. It really gets me fustrated because its not fair ,for people not to like you for no reason. Some girl at my school doesn't want...

Life is short ! [ 8 Answers ]

Life is short,, But I'm taller!! :D

Knowing him for a short period.but it seems like I've known him all my life [ 3 Answers ]

Well I been see my boyfriend for about 6 months.. I just recently got an apartment with him the 1st. Of march and I can't believe I finally got out the situation I was in with my godmom.. man it was hell... she wasn't letting me be a women.. I can't do this I can't do that.. but since I don't have...

Short life on bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

I have an OLD bathroom light fixture in my upstairs bathroom that seems to go through bulbs inordinately frequently. I'm replacing one or the other of the two bulbs seemingly every 2-3 months. I would have replcaed the fixture long ago, except the receptacle doesn't seem to be quite standard so it...

View more questions Search