Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurafaye1102 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2011, 06:09 AM
    Nys laws about overnight visits during separation with new girlfriend?
    My boyfriend is legally separated, he has been out of the house for almost 2 years. He has an 11 year old and 14 year old boy. We are moving in together, planning to sleep in separate beds and rooms. My boyfriends ex wife is threatening that this is illegal and she will not allow it. Custody has not been decixded, however they do reside with her . They are not in a custody battle. Can they stay over?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2011, 06:17 AM

Absent a court order there is nothing illegal. But also absent a court order, she may have control so she can refuse to allow the children to visit.

She can try to get the visitation order written to prevent overnights if you co-habitate, but I doubt if the court will allow it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 30, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by laurafaye1102 View Post
    ... My boyfriends ex wife is threatning that this is illegal and she will not allow it. ...They are not in a custody battle. ...
    Looks like a custody battle, or at least a skirmish, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by laurafaye1102 View Post
    ... Can they stay over?
    Yes. She doesn't have a viable case against overnight visitation. She is bluffing.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2011, 04:28 AM
    Yes of course they can stay over UNLESS she proves you or him unfit in some way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do about overnight visits. Who pays the tab? [ 3 Answers ]

I have similar problem. My ex is moving 200 miles away. I have sole physical and legal custody. He has limited visitation, NO OVERNIGHTS. He expects me to meet him half way two weekend days and every other weekend. He pays almost NO child support and wouldn't agree to pay for gas.. ( I have a gas...

Can I marry my french girlfriend when she visits here in the you.S. [ 1 Answers ]

I know that she can stay for up to 90 days but we want her to sta forever. She will quit her ob with this visit and I want to keep her here with me.

Are overnight visits for an 18 year old mandated by the court? [ 16 Answers ]

I live in Indiana. I am divorced with an 18 year old son (who is a senior in high school) and a 10 year old daughter. Up until last month, my son lived with me full-time and my daughter part time. When my son turned 18, he decided to move in with his mother; therefore requiring me to pay...

Laws on parents having boyfriends overnight [ 5 Answers ]

Would like to know if there is a law in Texas that states that the parent that the kids live with may not have visits after certain times or a live in boyfriend I've been told its against the law but can't seem to find anything on this law.

Overnight visits appropriate [ 2 Answers ]

Should newborns have overnight visitation, at what age is it appropriate I do not feel comfortable with overnight visits for my newborn and don't know when I will be okay with it.

View more questions Search