Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    red_bran Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2011, 06:19 PM
    Working Out/ Muscle Gain
    Hey, I just turned 16 recently. I'm six foot tall and 150 pounds. I've been working out for nearly five months. But I haven't noticed much change. I'm still a bit flabby around the mid-section, and I haven't been able to go up in weight in the past month. My diet is pretty balanced, I try staying under 2500 calories a day. Do you have any tips to help?

P.S: I read that it may be possible to be malnourished if you feel tired a lot. I have felt tired more than usual recently, should I be concerned?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 06:26 PM

You're at an age where your body is still changing. It's harder to get "that body" when your body is essentially doingit's own thing right now.

You also can't lose flab (cut/tone) and gain weight at the same time. If you try a cutting routine to get rid of that flab, you will lose weight or stay steady. If you try to gain weight (even muscle) your flab will still be present.

You have to decide what route you want to take. Do you want to get bigger than cut and tone or do you want to cut and tone from where you're at?

It is very possible to lose weight without touching a single exercise machine/weight and that is reflective of your diet. Now, doing just this won't cut/tone at all.

So, if you tell us what your goals are, we can better assist you. There are great loads of info out there and the one thing to keep in mind is everyone is different. My workout routine, my diet, my supplements, may not have any effect on you. When you first begin working out or hitting the gym, it's about finding your place. Finding what's right for you and developing a routine by that.

So again, let us know what your goal is and we can better assist you.

Your BMR is around 2560. I will explain this later, once you respond.

Apr 30, 2011, 06:45 PM
    Response to IT:

Right now I want to lose the flab I have, then once I got most of it gone, start building muscle. Just ask if you need more info than this.

Also, explain the BMR please.
    Networking Expert

May 1, 2011, 06:51 PM

First off, when you say build muscle, do you mean get huge or just build what you already have?

BMR= Basal Metabolic Rate, the link below is from an AMHD sticky written by an old member and he explains it very well. Please follow the link to discover your BMR and what that number means.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/fitnes...re-380692.html

Explaining your goal would be most beneficial at this point. As discussed earlier, are you looking to get body builder huge or just lose the flab and tone & build on the muscle you already have? I guess it depends on which way you want to go on the best route to get there...

As for cutting the flab, do you have access to a gym or weights where you can focus on a cutting/toning routine?

May 3, 2011, 04:29 AM
    Well I kind of want to do both. As in, get rid of the flab and tone FIRST, then build muscle. Or I can build muscle then tone, should that way work better. And when I say build muscle, I mean getting bigger. And yes, I have a gym membership.
    Networking Expert

May 3, 2011, 05:41 AM

The "flab" is excess body fat. There are hundreds of cutting routines that are geared toward cutting excess body fat. The hard part is fiinding one that works for you. I have recently combined 3 and with a little tweaking, I have my cutting routine in affect. When trying to cut body fat (ie: weight) there are some precautions.

Most people think that trimming down the calories can alone shed off their unwanted excess fat. What people don't know is that this could be dangerous because when they decrease their calorie intake way below the required levels, the body begins to digest the fats. Sounds good but it doesn't actually. Burning fat requires a lot of energy. Since there is not much energy in the body to facilitate metabolism of fat, it will run at a very slow pace resulting to fatigue, illness and weak immune system.

Low-calorie diet is also compensated for by the body by burning muscle. So all of your hardwork is slowly burning away.

What I am trying to say is create a balanced plan encorporating both a healthy diet and thought-out (educated) workout routine. Since you're looking to burn fat before building muscle, steer your routine more toward cardio and core workouts rather than isolation workouts.

The following are small tips, I have picked up on along the way and I figured I'd share. Remember that what works for me may not work for you, tweaking any diet, routine to fit YOUR need is a must:

1. WATER, WATER, WATER
    2. Frequent small meals (5-6/day) to balance your calorie intake.
    3. Protein!! 1g/lb of body weight.
    4. Fruits & Veggies (yummm)

Eating your fare share of protein will ensure that while you lose the fat, you don't lose the muscle.

1. Do you have some sort of routine currently?

2. What is it geared toward? Cardio or building muscle?
    Networking Expert

May 3, 2011, 06:02 AM

Before I say much more let me ask you something. At 6ft tall and 150lbs what kind of flab could you possibly have?

Remember, you're not trying to lose weight... just excess fat. While balancing your workout routine to be half cardio (burn fat) half isolation/compound free weights/machines (build muscle) you should start seeing an increase in weight, and toning of your flabby areas!

Also, it wouldn't hurt you to gain weight via a diet either. I am not saying eat everything in site but there are ways to healthly gain weight, coupled with a nice routine will turn this to muscle and not fat.

1. Drink whole milk
    2. Increase calorie intake slightly
    NOTE: Remember 3,500 calories = 1lb
    3. Continue to exercise, religiously to make sure this isn't all stored as excess fat.

I guess I am not sure which way to go with you. I want to help you get where YOU want but at 150lbs @ 6ft, why lose fat? How much fat could you possibly have?

P.S. I am 6ft 185lb
    pencaps123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2011, 07:18 AM

Sounds like you need to eat more. Make sure you're getting enough protein and carbs, and healthy fats.

I would recommend against trying to burn fat first. Try to build muscle. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be, and the more your body will burn fat while at rest (the other 23 hours of the day you're not in the gym). I think you will look better and feel better about yourself if you focus on muscle gain. Try some moderately heavy weight lifting (sets of 6-8 reps), and stick to compound exercises (squats, lunges, bench press, dips, pull-ups or lat pulldowns, military shoulder press, etc.). If you're inexperienced at weightlifting, try to get help/tips from someone who knows their stuff. Good luck!
    Networking Expert

May 3, 2011, 08:07 AM

As I stated earlier I forgot the OP weighed 150lbs :(

Once I realized that, I didn't see a real need to burn fat.

Also, as pencap acknowledged, stick with compound excercises at first. Beginners should never start with isolation muscle building routines. Leads to damaged muscles.
    Networking Expert

May 3, 2011, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by red_bran View Post
    P.S: I read that it may be possible to be malnourished if you feel tired a lot. I have felt tired more than usual recently, should I be concerned?
    Remember that if your body is not getting enough calories it will begin to burn fat (and muscle) for energy. Causing you to be fatigued and decreasing your immune system effectiveness.

May 3, 2011, 01:24 PM
    All right, you guys have been unbelievably helpful. Anyway, to answer your questions:

1:My routine usually consists of 15 minutes on a elliptical at a cardio intensity level. Afterwards I go and do some work with free weights and a bit with machines. Afterwards I do more cardio with whatever time I have left.

2:My routine is kind of geared toward both. I consider cardio very important, as well as lifting weights.

Also, I used to be a lot bigger and shorter than I am now (about 5 feet 8 inches and 180 pounds) and most of it was fat. So I think there may be some fat left from that. Its sort of around my mid-section. My abs are there, you can feel them and all, but you just don't see them. And I "jiggle" a bit.

Anyway, you guys have been a great help, please ask if you need more info.
    Networking Expert

May 3, 2011, 01:48 PM

As stated in m first post. You're body is still changing and with time you may (or maynot) fill out...

With you being so small already, I don't see a real point to cutting excess body fat as you probably don't have a lot to get rid of.

May 3, 2011, 03:20 PM
    All right, anymore tips?
    Networking Expert

May 3, 2011, 04:07 PM

Drink lots of water and stretch before and after...

May 4, 2011, 06:19 PM
    Okay, thanks a bunch you guys. You've all been great help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why can't I gain any muscle [ 1 Answers ]

I weight 156 and am 5' 7". I want to gain at least 10 more pounds. I keep getting stronger, and look bigger, but I keep losing weight. I workout really hard, mixing it up a little. I take protein shakes after I workout, and I'm not sure what to do anymore. Help?

How to gain muscle [ 4 Answers ]

Respected Sir/mam, Can u tell me of what all exercises to do to maximize the muscle size. Also what should be the apt routine. Should I start taking supplements bcoz I have been working out 4 about 2.5 years now without much gain? Regards Rahul

Muscle gain [ 5 Answers ]

Hey I was wondering for muscle gain what is better creatine or whey products?

Gain muscle and fat? [ 2 Answers ]

How can I gain muscle without losing fat? I'm 5'6 and 114 lbs. Is there a way to have both?

Muscle Gain [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 16yrs old, 113 lbs, and 5'2, I lift weights and I have not seen any real significant results and I have been doing it for about 4 months now, I am changing my diet, but what types of meals should you eat? Also I want to get rid of love handles and also build up my biceps, etc.

View more questions Search