Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hannahnlexie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2011, 05:12 PM
    How is it that my daughters grandparents get emergency guardianship?
    I had asked my parents to take care of my daughter for a couple of weeks so I could get on my feet, and the arragements were that they would give her back to me when I was ready to get her. Now they are saying that they couldn't get a hold of me or her dad and they gota lawyer and got emergency guardianship and we can come visit her anytime but can't ever take her with us. So my question is how is it possible for them to do this and take my daughter away from me. What did they have to say to get the emergency guardianship?

Apr 29, 2011, 05:16 PM

What are the terms and conditions on getting emergency guardianship of a child?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2011, 05:17 PM

If there was a medical emergency or such they need legal guardianship. They claimed they couldn't get in touch with you or the father. Is that true?

Apr 29, 2011, 05:25 PM

Yeah they said they couldn't but they knew where is was.

Apr 29, 2011, 05:28 PM

So you go to court and ask that the temporary guardianship be removed and the child returned to as they perjured themselves in the original hearing.

The first thing you need to do though is subpoena a transcript of the original petition and hearing so you know what they told the court.

Apr 29, 2011, 06:01 PM

Does this cost any money to do? And how can they do that without me or father signing any papers?

Apr 29, 2011, 06:18 PM

Yes it will. There will be court fees and you really should engage an attorney. However, if it can be proven that they lied they may be required to pay court costs.

And I told you, they probably told the court they could not contact you.
    K16832 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2011, 06:56 PM
    Sorry to play devils advocate here, but, where do you think your daughter will get the stability she needs to have a comfortable, secure childhood. If it is with your parents, be thankful that you have them to help raise her. If they say you can visit any time, then make sure you visit every day. This way you will remain the predominant figure in her life. It sounds like there was some issue of concern on their behalf. If you visit every day, they will know when their concern isn't warranted any longer.

Apr 29, 2011, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by K16832 View Post
    Sorry to play devils advocate here, but, where do you think your daughter will get the stability she needs to have a comfortable, secure childhood. If it is with your parents, be thankful that you have them to help raise her. If they say you can visit any time, then make sure you visit every day. This way you will remain the predominant figure in her life. It sounds like there was some issue of concern on their behalf. If you visit every day, they will know when their concern isn't warranted any longer.
    You are new here and its nice you want to help, but this is a law forum. As such there is a higher stand for answers here. The question asked here was a legal one. Therefore answers have to conform to statutory law. Your response doesn't deal with the legal issues raised and therefore was inappropriate for this forum.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The first thing you need to do though is subpoena a transcript of the original petition and hearing so you know what they told the court.
    Actually, it won't be necessary to subpoena one. You only have to pay a court reporter to transcribe one (if the hearing was recorded)

Quote Originally Posted by hannahnlexie View Post
    Does this cost any money to do?
    A transcript? Oh yea.

Going to court to terminate the emergency guardianship? Even more. Lawyers cost money.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 08:44 PM

And of course right now all you have is her word, have you asked to see a copy of the actual order, first thing that came to my mind is that she may just be lying to you
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2011, 04:34 AM
    You asked for help until you could get on your feet.Have you got on your feet and can you prove that to a court?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No affirmation of paternity, Expired guardianship! [ 2 Answers ]

My children's father list a man who is not the fathe nor is there an affirmation of paternity and he was given temp guardianship in 2000 due to domestic violence, I have been fighting him just for visits, now I have an order for visits but I want my children and his gaurdinship has expired.I am...

Can a mother stop a dad getting guardianship? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi my daughter is 5 she was going with her dad but now for the past 4 months she won't go I made her go for few hours on a sat but wouldn't leave her home when I asked so I stopped access because I couldn't trust him to take her and leave her back he pays 20 euro a week now he wants guardianship...

Am I able to terminate a guardianship? [ 0 Answers ]

When I was 14 I got pregnant with my 3 year old son I could not support him and a jugde told me they would take him away if my mother wasn't granted his guardian. I live with my mother who took guardianship of my him but I still have taken responisibilty for him all that happened was she's his...

Grandparents need emergency custody [ 5 Answers ]

My step daughter has recently had a baby, but she is also considered disabled by the social security administration, for a cognitive disability. Her and her boyfriend have not been taking care of the baby we have had to wake them up multiple times to wake them up because they were not responding...

Custodial rights and guardianship [ 2 Answers ]

If a mother gives up her rights of guardianship,(to social services) can she still regain custody of her child(ren) if she is on probation?

View more questions Search