Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    go4tom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Last Month's Rent/Pre-Paid
    If I paid the first and last month's rent years ago, and the current rent is a lot more, did I not "buy" in advance, an extra month's rent at the price when I signed the rental agreement? So I can considered the last month as paid in full without paying the additional to equal the new rent amount?

Tom
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Hello Tom:

It's a very interesting proposition. Landlord/tenant law doesn't address the specific question. I can certainly see where you have grounds to believe that you already paid the last months rent, because you really did.

And, I can see the landlords side where he believes that he should receive market rent (which is higher) for the last month because the last month does, in fact, occur when the market is higher.

Therefore, since I don't believe landlord/tenant law covers this notion, and it looks like you've had a long and successful relationship with your landlord, and the difference between market and what you paid CAN'T be that much, I certainly wouldn't fight over it. Offer to split the difference with him. Seems fair to me.

excon
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Jan 26, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by go4tom
    If I paid the first and last month's rent years ago, and the current rent is a lot more, did I not "buy" in advance, an extra month's rent at the price when I signed the rental agreement? So I can considered the last month as paid in full without paying the additional to equal the new rent amount?

Tom
    Arguably YES - and the argument you present is correct and the coorelation is purchasing an item on "lay-away"... unless the landlord increased the LMR during the lease, you have paid it in FULL.

There is "case law" on this in CA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Last month's rent payment [ 4 Answers ]

I recently gave 60 days notice on my lease. I am now at my last month's payment due. I did however have to prepay first and last months rent at the beginning of the lease. My landlord is saying I have to pay the rent at the beginning of the month and he will refund it at the end of the month. I...

Security Deposit & Pre-Paid Rent [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone: I am new to this site & need some advice & thought this would be a great avenue. Here is my dilemma: I had been renting a condo in PA (I live in TX) for almost a year. Since I have not been able to use the unit since March, I was looking to sub-let it. I informed the owner,...

Getting paid! [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, I have a simple question. I had to go to court (long story) and won about $3000 but that was a few years ago. Of course I have not seen any of it... what can I do? I don't know how to go about garnishing wages, and have since moved to a new state... any thought?

Being evicted but I paid rent [ 2 Answers ]

My lanlord is taking me to court to evicte me for August rent but she filled the eviction papers on July 19th. I'm wondering if she is able to do that. I paid all of julys rent but late and also paid the late fee, today when I got the eviction papers they are for 400 dollars more than my rent even...

Full month's rent? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi- I have a question that I need answered. My husband and I live in NH and currently are not in a lease with our apartment. We found a new place to live and would like to move in Aug 19. We have given 30 days notice, and would like to partial pay the month of Aug- from aug 1-19. Our present...

View more questions Search