Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babolin Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2011, 03:33 PM
    Suggestions on a External flash for my Canon EOS Rebel XSi/450D
    I am looking for a External flash for my Canon EOS Rebel XSi/450D. Any suggestions on what model/brand would be the best investment. Sigma EF-610 DG ST Electronic Flash for Canon? YN-560 Flash Speedlite for Canon? I only have about $250.00 to spend. I don't have the money to buy the Canon 580EX II :(

Millerhill Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Apr 30, 2011, 12:51 PM
    I would suggest the Vivitar 285HV. Although I now use higher end Nikon flashes, these have been around forever and do a great job.

http://www.amazon.com/Vivitar-285HV-Auto-Professional-Flash/dp/B00004TVSP

If you really want to get a lot more control than having the flash mounted on the hot shoe, check out this cheapo remote flash trigger. I paid 10 times that amount for my wireless system, but it gets a lot of good reviews and if you're not shooting pro, why not?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W3IXZW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004TVSP&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=0KNDS4WXZHJJVQCY5K8C

May 1, 2011, 03:17 PM
    Comment on Millerhill's post
    Thanks for the suggestion! The CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver looks like it will be a perfect addition on to my camera bag. I was hoping for a fully digital automatic flash, but that is only because I am still trying to understand all the settings on my camera like the A-DEP, M, AV, TV, P, WB, F stop, White balance. Thank goodness for all the pre programed settings like sports, full Auto. I'm still pretty new to my camera and still trying to figure out how to use it.

One day I hope to stand in the back of the auditorium when my granddaughter is dancing at her dance competitions and shoot like the Pro's do without a flash!
    Millerhill Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

May 2, 2011, 04:52 AM
    There are many challenges these days when it comes to any technology. So much to learn and so many options it's hard to keep up. If you want full integration with your Rebel (sorry, I've been a Nikon guy for the last 40 years or so) I would think that you need to get a Canon flash. Some basic rules apply though.

Shooting dance you should keep some things in mind.

1. Get as close as possible so you can fill the frame with the stage
    2. Using flash is these situations is tricky. To do it right, you need a killer flash and it needs to be off camera and preferably higher (like on a tall light stand). Again, the big deal is proximity. The further away the flash is, the more powerful it needs to be, so you're getting into the high-priced spread.
    3. Shoot at the highest shutter speed possible and learn how to shoot while panning the camera. Slow and steady lateral movement along with your subject, and release the shutter WHILE the camera is moving. This is a very useful skill and can add a lot of character to your action photography.
    4. Dance is about movement, so don't be afraid to go in the other direction... using slower shutter speeds while panning... start with maybe a 1/15th sec and go down to 1 sec. Experiment... shoot a LOT of frames... film's cheap remember?
    5. So, bottom line for me would be, learn how to shoot in available light which is all about timing. Look for peaks in movement... stops and starts where you have a better chance of getting a good shot. Forget about using flash (unless you want to spend a lot of cash) and save that for taking pictures of your granddaughter accepting her trophy!

Steve

Jul 21, 2011, 11:35 AM

Can you please explain to me how to make the background out of focus? Here are the pictures I took, and some of them I was able to get out of focus, but some of them aren't. This is my Great Niece 1st birthday swimming at the Rec center. You can look at the photo details and maybe explain it to me. I'm still learning, and just a grandma who loves to take pictures of my family. This help me learn what each setting on my camera means.

https://picasaweb.google.com/grandmabolin
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2011, 11:43 AM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/photog...us-588703.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canon eos digital camera. [ 9 Answers ]

Okay so someone protected my pictures on my camera and I cannot get them onto my computer or delete them off my camera... I NEED HELP ASAP! My model is the EOS Rebel XTi. THANK YOU!

I can't find my software to load on my laptop for my Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT. [ 1 Answers ]

I need to download software for my EOS digital Rebel XT camera to my laptop... can't find my CD... is there somewhere to download it?

Canon EOS Rebel XS [ 4 Answers ]

I just purchased a Canon EOS Rebel XS camera and cannot figure out how to change from the LCD screen to the viewfinder. Problem with the manual is there is no index. Does anyone know? (It's a great camera but I would prefer the viewfinder on occasion.)

How to recover pictures from a Canon Rebel Xsi [ 3 Answers ]

I recently bought this camera and have to say still learning how to use it. I had a horrible experience this past weekend because I shot tons (~400) pictures of my kid birthday party. During the party I was able to review pictures I had taken every single time but when I tried to transfer photos...

View more questions Search