Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mm0411 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2011, 02:19 PM
    How to write to a person dying?
    Help! My sister-in-law is dying of cancer, our sister, without my knowledge, asked my brother if I could come and see her. My brother and I are not close, never have been, no contact at all. I don't want to see either of them, hopefully he'll say no. I think a letter would be better but I don't know what to say. Any suggestions?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2011, 02:37 PM

I'm confused. Your brother's wife is dying, you're not close to her or him, your sister asked your brother if you could come and see him and his dying wife? Why? What is the purpose of your visit?

Even if he says yes I see no responsibility on your part to go and visit.

Death bed reunions/confessions are a very bad idea.

When my husband was dying one of his estranged relatives thought it would be a really good idea to come and "get some closure." I didn't think so - and neither did my husband.

I don't even know what you would say in a letter. If you haven't been part of their lives and everyone is at least at terms with that, why reopen old wounds?

Again, what is the purpose of the letter and/or visit?
    mm0411 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2011, 06:25 PM
    I have no idea what my sister was thinking and after reading your answer I know what to say when I talk to her about this, why I don't want to see them and why it's a bad idea, even if they agree.

Thank you very much for your honesty and for sharing your own experience.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2011, 06:55 AM

Not at all - I'm sure your sister wants everybody to "make nice," not leave open issues. She's probably well intended, just not thinking straight.

Thanks for the compliment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Write letter someone dying [ 3 Answers ]

Her name is Pricilla she is 84 years old, she has cancer, the doctor gave her 6 months to live that was 2 years ago, she came this far but her body is frail and she said she live her life. And she is ready to go. She has been a inspiration to me I've know her for five years I am 50 year old she...

How to write a proposal on a person [ 6 Answers ]

I need to write a half page proposal on helen keller. How do I go about that?

I need to write a letter on how I would be the best person for the job? [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me do this. Or just give me something to write about

Do you write a grant proposal in third person [ 1 Answers ]

Hi-I am not sir I ask this question here,will sorry. Do you write a grant proposal in third person? Like to know what do you write it in. Thank you. Katie w.

Writing a Letter to a Dying Person [ 8 Answers ]

I need to write a letter to a friend who has a terminal illness. What can I say in such a situation?

View more questions Search