Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ystoner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2011, 11:05 AM
    Where can I check if and an idea I have for a product is not already out there?
    I have an idea, and a company is willing to help me with it, but they want to charge me to check if there is no other product like mine, I can't afford to pay them what they are asking for, so they said I can do my own investigation and turn it in to them, sign a doucment saying if there is something out there and they get a law suit, is on me. What I need to know, is how or where can I investigate if there is a product like mine somewher out there. Who do I ask for help or advise?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 11:15 AM

Go to the reference desk at your local public library. A reference librarian will do a search and tell you what else you need to do to cover all the bases.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2011, 11:18 AM

You could start with a patent office.

Its also a good idea to put your idea on paper with as much information as possible including an example of the product and send it by registered post to the patent office.

Depending on where you are in the world, Google will probably bring up a patent office in your area.

I would suggest you get some legal advice also, just to cover your bases.

There is a legal section on askmehelpdesk, it might be worth your while to look for some information there.

You can rephase your question in the legal section to ask about any legal ramifactions from outcome of your investigation.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2011, 06:03 PM

When Aircard came out, I thought they were nice, but would be nicer if you could plug in to an "Aircard Router" to allow your whole house as well as your Laptop. So I Googled "Aircar Router" and found someone made them.
    Ebay is also a good place to check on something.
    However, I believe if you did some Google type search for something, and no results popped up, it may notify THEM, and they may be able to produce and protect faster than you, and take your Idea?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 10:18 AM

You really don't care whether someone else out here has a product like what you're thinking about (at least not from a legal perspective) - after all, we live in a competitive world where Burger King and McDonalds can both sell hamburgers without infringement concerns. What you DO care about is whether there are design ideas embodied in your invention that are already patented by someone else. So what you need to do is a patent search. The US Patent & Trademark office has an online facility for that - it's free but not very user-friendly and takes lots of perseverance. Choose key words that are as specific as possible to the key technology in your invention. If you find a patent that is close to your invention you can research other patents that referenced to broaden into related inventions. It's not a fool-prooof method, but in a few hours you'll have a pretty good idea about the state of the art. To evualate whether your product may infringe you have to carfully read the claims at the back of the patent document and see if the physical embodiment of your product infringes on what's disclosed there.

You can start here: Search for Patents

Alternatively, you can use software that is intended to make patent searches easier. See for example: PatentHunter 3.5 - Patent Downloading, Searching and Management Software

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a blog to vent a good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas? Suggestions? [ 13 Answers ]

If you've seen my other question, then you know I've had some drama lately.. Well concerning that post I will say, things settled out. Well.. more of, she read my journal that morning while I took my regents test and found out that I thought I liked her. Today, we discussed that. She doesn't...

I invented new idea but can't afford to manufacture the sample product. [ 11 Answers ]

I have contacted Davidson with my new idea which saves lots of time and energy. My new idea was pretty simple but really helpful for everyone to use in every day bases. Davidson (Davison - turning ideas, inventions, and patents into products.) did the necessary research about the idea and created...

How do I take an idea and make it into a product [ 1 Answers ]

I have an idea that I would like to invent but am unsure of the process? I need to have someone design the product from my description. So my question is, who would I contact to design the product and do they do a draft or a prototype sample? Who do I contact to manufacture the product and will...

Flashing Engine check light. [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2001 Hyundai Accent. In the morning my engnie check light was flashing. I turned the engine off for while, it went off. It never came back again for the day. I drove around 50 kms. Should I be worried to show to mechanic? Engine was making noise in the morning while light was flashing but...

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

View more questions Search