Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amyjc Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2011, 02:16 AM
    Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell
    Hi Everybody,

Last night I started reading this book called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. I have read up to chapter 3 and had a few thoughts on it that I would like to share. Also, I wanted to get your views on this book and see how some of you guys feel about it.

To be honest, I was actually getting bored with a lot of it after the introduction. I felt that Gladwell gave really boring examples unless you had a particular interest in that area. I think the book is geared toward a male audience because all of his examples of success stories are about male achievers. I am thinking this may be why I am not real into his book. For example, he gave a long example about professional male hockey players in Canada. It went on for many pages and I got bored quickly. I was never really into that sport. However, I did find the success story of Bill Gates interesting. I would like to become more tech oriented and this is why I think I liked that part of the book.

I disagree with some of the things the author says. For example, the author claims that in order to be successful, you must put in 10,000 hours of your time to be successful in what you want to do. The author claims that if a person is poor, then they lack the adequate resources to become successful because they do not have the time of 10,000 hours to put in and be great like The Beatles and Bill Gates. Your thoughts?

I am looking forward to reading your replies.:)

Amy
    HotHoneyVintage Posts: 231, Reputation: 6

Nov 25, 2011, 04:40 PM
    I read first chapter of this book and droppedit. Just examples over and over again how really smart people gets ahead in life better than the rest. What else is new about that. Isn't that what happens everyday? Don't need a book to demonstrate with examples of this imo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outliers and stats [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to do my stats homework and was wondering if anyone can help explain outliers are? I mean I get what they are but when given a set of numbers I can't figure out how to tell if a # is an outlier using the IQR. I'm really confused!

View more questions Search