Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NormoRoy Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Venting
    I have a two part question.

1.This is new construction and I have a question related to the venting. I have a 3” horizontal pipe installed between to floor joist. Attached to this pipe is a shower (seperate), bathtub(seperate) and toilet. This is how I have laid it out starting at the end of the run, down to the where it attached to the main drain. I installed a 3” clean out, then the 2” shower stub out with trap, 3 feet away a 2” vertical vent pipe, another 2 feet away I have a 2” stub out for the bathtub. 5 feet away from that I have another 2” vertical vent pipe then about 18” away is the 3x4 closet elbow. The pipe runs approximately 12 more feet down to the main drain. Therefore I have two 2” vent pipes sandwiched in between those three fixtures. Is this OK or not?
    2. My second question relates to the location of the vent stack. Are there any rules or regulations related to where the vent stack goes through the roof? Such as the length of pipe extending beyond the roof line, distance from the roof peak or roof’s edges?

Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2007, 09:33 AM
    I might have configured it a little different using one vent and wet venting one the fixtures but your layout sounds fine.

2. My second question relates to the location of the vent stack. Are there any rules or regulations related to where the vent stack goes through the roof? Such as the length of pipe extending beyond the roof line, distance from the roof peak or roof's edges?

We run out vents 6" up from the roof line. The vents can be placed almost anywhere. Good luck, Tom
    NormoRoy Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NormoRoy
    I have a two part question.

1.This is new construction and I have a question related to the venting. I have a 3” horizontal pipe installed between to floor joist. Attached to this pipe is a shower (seperate), bathtub(seperate) and toilet. This is how I have laid it out starting at the end of the run, down to the where it attached to the main drain. I installed a 3” clean out, then the 2” shower stub out with trap, 3 feet away a 2” vertical vent pipe, another 2 feet away I have a 2” stub out for the bathtub. 5 feet away from that I have another 2” vertical vent pipe then about 18” away is the 3x4 closet elbow. The pipe runs approximately 12 more feet down to the main drain. Therefore I have two 2” vent pipes sandwiched in between those three fixtures. Is this ok or not?
    2. My second question relates to the location of the vent stack. Are there any rules or regulations related to where the vent stack goes through the roof? Such as the length of pipe extending beyond the roof line, distance from the roof peak or roof’s edges?

Thank you.
    Just another follow up question. I was reading another venting question where you listed Chapter 14, ( Vents and Venting) Section 1403.3 ( Main Vent Stack) of The Standard Plumbing Code states "Every building in which plumbing is installed shall have at least one main vent stack, of not less then 3-inches in diameter, which shall run undiminished in size and as directly as possible from the building main drain through to the open air above the roof."

My main drain is in the rear of the home. I plan on having the vent stack in the rear of the home but the bathrooms and kitchen are located in the front of the home. Therefore my venting process would be from the roof (rear of home) across the attic to front of the house down two floors. Once in the basement cross back to the rear of the house to the main drain. I guess this is not “as directly as possible”. Do you think I'll have an issue with the inspector? Will I have to install the vent stack in the front roof?
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 25, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Tom lives in Florida. (Lucky him!) If you are from an area that gets snow, you probably should have the vent pipe go higher up from the roof. In New England, I think most extend vents 18 inches and many go more.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2007, 12:03 PM
    My main drain is in the rear of the home. I plan on having the vent stack in the rear of the home but the bathrooms and kitchen are located in the front of the home. Therefore my venting process would be from the roof (rear of home) across the attic to front of the house down two floors. Once in the basement cross back to the rear of the house to the main drain. I guess this is not “as directly as possible”. Do you think I'll have an issue with the inspector? Will I have to install the vent stack in the front roof?

No, We do it all the time in new construction on upscale homes where the owner wants the vents located on the rear of the house and not showing on the front side. Cheers Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage venting [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the middle apartment of a single level townhouse built in a straight configuration. The building is two years old and is on city sewer. The bathroom is located against the south wall and contains the toilet, bathtub, and washer/dryer. The associated sink is in the hall just outside the...

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

How many fixtures can be tapped into the main vent? I have a 2" main vent.

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , In the basement , there is a mechanical vent on a bathtub wich tells me its not vented by the main stack. Could the tub be changed to a shower stall. Also wich size drain should the shower stall be?

Venting Thanks [ 7 Answers ]

Spent last 3 hrs reading threads, trying to answer my questions. Thank you for this site! I am working on new construction. I would like to confirm some things I think I learned on this site. Please answer T/F. If False please fix me. 1 every fixture w/trap needs vented. EX tub lav toilet...

View more questions Search