Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martinigirl755 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Leaking toilet
    I went away on vacation Florida... turned the heat down to about 65, I usually keep it at 68-70... when I came home and flushed the toilet... water seeped out of the back where it's bolted together... I looked inside the tank and where it's leaking from it looks like there is a bolt with a washer around it (it's black in color)... can I replace these washers myself or drain the tank and caulk with something? It's now leaking on both sides of the toilet... the same thing happened a year ago when I turned the heat down and went on a business trip but after a few days it stopped... I'm pretty handy and could probably do this myself... I hate to pay for repairs if I don't have too... sorry
    If I'm not using the technical plumbing terms... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Those are called "tank bolts". They hold the tank down on a "spud washer" that seals the tank from the bowl. I would first snug up the tank bolts, do not over tighten, leave a little slack so the tank's not tight against the bowl. About 1/4" inch of play is normal. If it's tightened too tight the first time someone leans back the strain on the bolts will fracture the tank. We came to Florida on a vacation over 52 years ago and never left. Good luck, Tom
    malex27 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Jan 25, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Martini, I would definitely try speedball's suggestion. Over time, the bolts may have loosened up just enough to cause a leak.

If that doesn't do it. Loosen the nuts, pull the bolts up just enough to place a small rope of plumber's putty under the washer that seats between the bolt and the tank. Retighten the nuts, and remove any excess putty that has worked it's way out and into the tank.

During new installations, we always place a very small rope of putty there to prevent leaks. It's proven very effective and we rarely have call backs even years down the line on leaky tanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

Toilet leaking [ 2 Answers ]

I have a toilet on the main level of a two story house, NO basement or crawl space. Sometime during the something happened with the toilet... in the morning there was water all over the floor in the bathroom and in the hallway. What do I check first to find where the water is coming out? I have...

Leaking toilet - need new closet flange? [ 3 Answers ]

My father-in-law (a fairly skilled, but sometimes lazy :confused: , handyman) installed a toilet in a house we are rehabbing. It has always leaked at the front of the base since being installed. It only seems to leak after someone has sat on it and then flushed - I haven't noticed it leak when just...

Leaking toilet water supply tube [ 11 Answers ]

I replaced the ballcock on my toilet and I have ended up with 2 problems. Please note that I am a DIY novice. Here goes. The first problem is that after replacing the ballcock, I turned the water on and it immediately started to leak. I figured that the connection was loose and so I tried again...

View more questions Search