Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amber1315 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Problems with John Deere LT190 lawn tractor
    I am having problems with my just under 2 year old lawn tractor. It works fine with the mower attachment. But just before Xmas 2006 the problem started, when blowing snow with the snow blower attachment that I just purchased early spring 2006 and only used a couple of times with no problems. About 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour of it blowing snow just fine, it starts to loose rpm, blow out black smoke and run rough and fouled spark plugs. I took it to the john deere dealer which whom I purchased it from as it is still under warranty. They informed me that it was faulty spark plugs and replaced them under warranty. Charged me for an oil change as gas had gotten into the oil and sent it back to me. The first time I used it again the problem is still there. Sent it back to JD dealer and this time they put an anti icing screen on and they thought the problem was solved! As they were loading it on the truck to bring it back to me the problem arose again. Back in the shop it went. This time they put in a new carburetor and sent it back to me thinking this would solve the problem. Wrongo. The first time I used it the problem is still there.
    As the problem is intermittent. Because when it acts up if you let it sit and clean the spark plugs it will run fine for that day and maybe even the next time I use it, but won't work the third time I go to use it. My John Deere Dealer seems to be baffled as what the problem could be... HELP!!
    blue2799 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Same problem with LX280.

My plugs foul after about 25 to 30 min of snow blowing. I have done a lot of research on this topic and seem to know more about it then my dealer. Fact is, the carb is either freezing up (throttle body) or the light snow is freezing up the air intake screen. In any event, I now keep a spare set of plugs and a dry intake screen so that I can finish snow blowing once the problem arises. It's a real pain!

There may be a snow screen available for your model - the dealer is not sure if there is one for mine. I'm also going to try covering the front air vents used for cooling the engine. If your snow blowing, the outside are should be cool enough that covering those vents shouldn't pose a problem - make sure you remove the cover when your using your tractor in warmer conditions. Don't know if this will work or if it is even a smart idea. None the less, my dealer has been of no help and it appears to be a design flaw by John Deere.

So for the mean time, keep a spare set of plugs and air intake screen on hand.
    Consider (I don't know if it will work or not) covering the front vents on the hood.
    See if there is a snow screen available for your model.
    cjcdallas Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Feb 10, 2007, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amber1315
    I am having problems with my just under 2 year old lawn tractor. It works fine with the mower attachment. But just before Xmas 2006 the problem started, when blowing snow with the snow blower attachment that I just purchased early spring 2006 and only used a couple of times with no problems. About 20 mins to 1/2 an hour of it blowing snow just fine, it starts to loose rpm, blow out black smoke and run rough and fouled spark plugs. I took it to the john deere dealer which whom I purchased it from as it is still under warranty. They informed me that it was faulty spark plugs and replaced them under warranty. Charged me for an oil change as gas had gotten into the oil and sent it back to me. The first time I used it again the problem is still there. Sent it back to JD dealer and this time they put an anti icing screen on and they thought the problem was solved! As they were loading it on the truck to bring it back to me the problem arose again. Back in the shop it went. This time they put in a new carburetor and sent it back to me thinking this would solve the problem. Wrongo. The first time I used it the problem is still there.
    As the problem is intermittent. Because when it acts up if you let it sit and clean the spark plugs it will run fine for that day and maybe even the next time I use it, but won't work the third time I go to use it. My John Deere Dealer seems to be baffled as what the problem could be...............HELP !!!!!!!!
    I will be the first to admit I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but have been working on trucks and cars for over 25 years and when I find gas in my oil it is usually caused by something that has gone very bad. I am not familiar with your piece of equipment but I would do a compression check to see if the compression has dropped. I would also do another one after it starts acting up for comparison.
    I would really be curious as to what is causing the pressure to get high enough to push gas past the rings especailly soomething as new as yours...
    Guy M Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cjcdallas
    I will be the first to admit I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but have been working on trucks and cars for over 25 years and when I find gas in my oil it is usually casued by something that has gone very bad. I am not familiar with your piece of equipment but I would do a compression check to see if the compression has dropped. I would also do another one after it starts acting up for comparison.
    I would really be curious as to what is causing the pressure to get high enough to push gas past the rings especailly soomething as new as yours....

I also am experiencing the same as described above. I am fed up with John deere and am considering legal consultation if the better business bureau can not help. John deere's de-icing kit does not work but obviously they know they have a problem.:mad:
    Guy M Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by blue2799
    Same problem with LX280.

My plugs foul after about 25 to 30 min of snow blowing. I have done a lot of research on this topic and seem to know more about it then my dealer. Fact is, the carb is either freezing up (throttle body) or the light snow is freezing up the air intake screen. In any event, I now keep a spare set of plugs and a dry intake screen so that I can finish snow blowing once the problem arises. Its a real pain!

There may be a snow screen available for your model - the dealer is not sure if there is one for mine. I'm also going to try covering the front air vents used for cooling the engine. If your snow blowing, the outside are should be cool enough that covering those vents shouldn't pose a problem - make sure you remove the cover when your using your tractor in warmer conditions. Don't know if this will work or if it is even a smart idea. None the less, my dealer has been of no help and it appears to be a design flaw by John Deere.

So for the mean time, keep a spare set of plugs and air intake screen on hand.
    Consider (I don't know if it will work or not) covering the front vents on the hood.
    See if there is a snow screen available for your model.
    My John deere Lx280 is giving me the exact problems that you mention above. I am going to contact the better business bureau and am possibly going to sue John Deere. I have requested either a new tractor or a new different engine for compensation. Feel free to contact me for further info. I am able to "limp" the tractor into the garage by adding dry gas and fuel stabilizer. This is ridiculous and frustrating as John deere knows that the tractor's carburetor is prone to icing.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 16, 2007, 06:48 PM
    I have a lot of experience with the twin cylinder Honda's and we experience those symptoms when there is ignition coil failure. I would contact ENGINE Mnfgr and see if there are any bulletins related to coils.

Don

Apr 25, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Sorry for not posting sooner - like during the winter! Anyway, I was able to find a John Deere cover for the front of the tractor – I had to tell the dealership about it. It cost around $70.00 once I paid for tax and shipping to the dealer. The cover covers the entire hood. This did "solve" the problem as from the point of purchase on; I no longer experienced any negative symptoms. The dealership was skeptical about it actually working or not but as I said in my previous post, they seemed to know very little about the problem, and even less about fixing it. So seek out and purchase this cover for next season as it works great - given that they don't actually have a real fix for the problem! I'm guessing you may be able to find a similar cover (that does not say John Deere on it) for a lot less. Where I don't know and given the amount of snow fall I was dealing with, I didn't have time to anymore research.

Keep in mind, remove the cover in warmer weather!
    Thomas Mills Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Apr 26, 2007, 05:58 PM
    The cover idea works because the real problem is that the air filter is freezing moisture on to it and so the engine is running rich and fouling the plugs. Cheaper & easiest solution would be to remove the air filter during the winter months. Thomas

Apr 27, 2007, 06:55 PM
    I believe what you are saying is correct. However, every time I removed the air filter, it seemed to be dry. I was advised by the dealer not to remove it (and leave it removed), other then to check, clean or replace it. I wonder if they fixed this issue with newer similar models.
    kevinhak Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Mills
    The cover idea works because the real problem is that the air filter is freezing moisture on to it and so the engine is running rich and fouling the plugs. Cheaper & easiest solution would be to remove the air filter during the winter months. Thomas
    I agree with this answer. Snow and/or water vapor are causing the air filter or intake to ice up, causing a rich condition. Keeping the blowing snow out of the intake is the solution. A coil that is going bad once heat soaked is probably not going to show up as much during the winter, so it is probably not that (unless you are experiencing the same thing in the summer).
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 11:07 AM
    I am glad I am in Tennessee and don't have to worry with such issues. I hope that you can get the problem solved up north. We just don't have the ice problem down here in the South. Sorry I can not be of assistance.
    deek66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 09:12 PM
    Hi all, stumbled on this and thought I would supply an explanation even though the post is old.

The problem is most likely due to carburettor icing - very common (and often fatal) in aircraft, it explains the symptoms and the remedy (the engine cover). To avoid carburettor icing, pilots are able to select carb heat which draws preheated air from the around the engine exhaust manifold into the carb therefore avoiding icing in the venturi of the carburettor. There is a hit in performance due to the hotter (and therefore less dense) charge of air but it keeps the engine going. In this case the engine cover is ensuring the engine breathes warmer air from around the engine.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2010, 09:21 PM
    The reason why snow blowers do not have air filter.
    Because when they suck in air it turns to ice.
    The dealer dosen't want you to run your tractor without an air filter when you mowing too much dust in the air.
    Its okay when your using a snow blower or in the winter no dust in the air.
    But Deere also had a problem with there plastic tanks the fuel was eating the insides up .causing a dust like stuff to get in the carb ,couldn't really see it in the filter
    Dump out the fuel filter on a piece paper rub your finger tips on it and it will feel like grit.if so ask deere about the tank recall.
    Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere LT160 lawn tractor [ 8 Answers ]

My lawn tractor (LT)will not start. When it is on choke it just acts like it is not getting fuel. When on run when I try to start it it backfires and will not start. I checked the fuel filter, chenaged the spark plug, made sure the carborator was not clogged cleaned out the carborator bowl. The...

John Deere replacement [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I have a JD L120 with 65hrs and a failed Hydro, Luckily its 23months old and will receive a new Hydro under warranty. As it has only lasted 1 1/2 summers I am sceptical to it's longevity. I mow a series of slopes covering 6 acres. I am interested in a replacement that will last, any...

John Deere LT 110 will not start [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn the ignition key no hour meter reading and no power. I checked the battery cable and the fuse, all are OK. The tractor was running fine just minutes before this problem, so the battery is fine. Before this problem I had a sticky starter - would occasionally have to bump start using...

"OLD" John Deere lawn tractor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a very old John Deere lawn tractor that needs a needle and needle seat for the carburetor. John Deere no longer makes parts for this mower. It is an 18HP Kawasaki carb. I live in Anderson, SC and have not found anyone carrying parts for this. Any help appreciated.

John Deere L 110 Riding Mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have an L 110 riding mower from John Deere and I have to charge the battery. I just bought a charger and will charge it for first time. My question is I have to know if the 12 volt battery in my mower is a wet battery, gel battery, or agm battery. Can you tell me which battery it is? Thanks!

View more questions Search