Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PacificNWgirl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2011, 12:30 PM
    Paging 'Dr. House'
    Hi everyone. I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction, give me a new idea to consider or offer some suggestion on what may be going on with me. I will try to keep it as brief as possible.

2005 I was admitted to the hospital for having a fever above 102 (that wouldn't break) for over a week. I had severe edema, a petechia-type rash on both legs below the knee and my joints were so painful and swollen I could barely walk or move my arms. I also had lots of upper abdominal pain between my liver and my spleen that had been going on for quite sometime (and which I still experience often). My clinical manifestations were:

High Platelet Count
    High ALP
    High ALT
    High UA Ketones
    High UA Blood (large)
    High UA RBC
    High RA
    High EOS%
    Low BUN
    High Lipase
    Low K
    Low Lymph%

An MRI was performed and they found a "questionable" clot in my portal vein. I was later prescribed warfarin and have been on it ever since. After three days in the hospital, numerous tests and numerous questions like "Have you been outside the country? Have you been bitten by something?" They (in a grasping at straws measure) requested a colonoscopy even though I had no digestive distress or symptoms. I refused and checked myself out AMA. I was sent to Rheumatology. The Rheumatologist put me on Prednisone and Plaquenil straight away but could not tell me what was wrong other than it seemed to be "autoimmune related" and possibly Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Since that episode, I've had chronic joint pain which can be attributed to the RA. I've been on and off Prednisone, Plaquenil, Methotrexate, Sulfasalizine, and Warfarin. The Methotrexate seems to help a great deal with the joint pain, and morning stiffness. HOWEVER, I've had the following symptoms ever since the above mentioned episode that no doctor can explain:

- Severe, debilitating fatigue
    - Connective tissue pain (NOT muscular) mostly in forearms
    - General malaise
    - Low grade fever (hovers around 100)
    - Often these symptoms hit in mid-afternoon. It feels as though my plug has been pulled and I crash hard.
    - The symptoms also come on hard almost every time I shower. I have to lie down before I can even get dressed or put on my makeup.

Recently, it was suggested by my current Rheumy that it may be fibromyalgia. Although I only responded to two of the trigger points.

I'm really at a loss here and I know this is a LOT of information, but I'm really desperate to find an answer or at least a new direction or some good questions to start asking. Thank you, thank you, thank you for any help you may be able to give me.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 01:04 PM

Medical advice or opinions here will not be as safe as what you liekly already heard from your doctor. You may be a candidate for something like the Mayo Clinic Appointments at Mayo Clinic
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 01:46 PM

Interestingly enough, it sounds very much like Lyme Disease.

Apr 28, 2011, 02:23 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Thank you for your suggestion Ballengerb1. I just submitted an application to them to be seen. I never considered that before!

Apr 28, 2011, 02:25 PM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Thanks J_9. I've actually considered that before. I had no discernible bite mark nor the trademark bullseye rash though and hadn't been anywhere that I could have received such a thing. So probably not likely.
    Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 02:31 PM

Have you had your thyroid checked?

Apr 28, 2011, 02:37 PM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Yes. Multiple times actually.
    Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 02:38 PM

Potassium?

Apr 28, 2011, 02:51 PM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Potassium was low in the initial screening. I don't think they've checked it since though. What would that indicate to you?
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

May 9, 2011, 06:13 PM
    You might not believe me, but I am no anti-activist against prescription drugs. However, during the last ten years of studying medicine, there are too many instances of patients get in what Dr. Earl L. Mindell, RPh, PhD and Virginia Hopkins, MA call the "pill popping mindset."

Basically, this is when a patient goes into the hospital for a minor ailment and the Physician prescribes a prescription drug. However, the prescription drug causes unwarranted side effects that often, the patient does not consider. He or she returns to the hospital and the Doctor prescribes another drug for the new symptom.

Business goes as usual. The new drug causes it's own select effects on the body. Now, the patient is experiencing more symptoms. As a result, he or she returns to the hospital, only to receive more drugs. This process happens over and over until you look back and notice that you are on 5-15 different medications. This cycle has to be broken with a simple change of mind set.

Physicians are under tremendous pressure, mainly from insurance companies who constantly threaten to strip them of their license if they do not prescribe a drug. After all, that is what they are trained to do. They are not trained to put in thoughtfulness to a patient as a whole. Imagine spending $500,000 on an education and losing your licenses to practice. Much of the times, the physician's comply and just prescribe the drug. This keeps lawsuits from hanging over the hospital and Physician's head. Now, I said all that to say this:

Be sure to talk with your Doctor about the side effects and interactions of your medications. Many of these side effects are mild, but some are severe and require you notify your Doctor for possibly a doe adjustment, and alternative drug, or to take you off the medicine altogether. Knowing your symptoms results from side effects of your medicine may not help you feel any better, but it can keep you from unnecessary Doctor visits, sometimes and stress wondering what's wrong with you. When this happens, you can spend more time tracing down the source of your original pain.

Hope this answers your question!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paging successful mono users or anyone willing to help.. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am in desperate need of help. I have been using mono mixed with alcohol, and glow oil for a couple of months purchased from anil. And now I have white spots all over my underarms, allover my chest, and stomach area. I am a survivor of a serious, and nearly fatal car accident that I almost...

How to make paging number in two types in one word file? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 198 pages word file. I have to make page numbering in 20 first pages in I,ii,iii and the rest in 1,2,3, But the problem is that when I try to do so, it changes from page 21! Surprisingly. I don`t know what`s the reason.

Paging HKStroud [ 12 Answers ]

Harold, Would you please give me a call? I live in Alexandria, VA and need help with my home regarding damage to my concrete slab, new windows, and new exterior doors. >Number Removed< Thanks, Matt

How important is the paging file that windows uses as RAM [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I would like to ask why is it important that windows uses a part of the hard disk memory as an additional RAM? I want to free up some space and I'm not sure if it is a good solution or not to modify the Page file. I also looked up in "dxdiag" and it says that I have a total paging...

View more questions Search