Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2011, 07:26 AM
    Pregnant kitty, I need help
    All right, this is kind of a long story (and could get a little confusing).
    Anyway, I have a friend (more of an acquaintance) who had this cat, well he went to jail and had left the cat in his apartment. I just found out about this yesterday from another mutual friend so we tracked down the landlord and told him the story, and he allowed us to enter the apartment, sure enough the cat was there. He went to jail the beginning of April (and won't be getting out for at least a year, so no, we didn't just "steal" the cat, the landlord also didn't know he was gone as he had paid aprils rent)so the cat has been alone since then, were not sure what she was eating if anything at all, because she is kind of thin. We also realized she is pregnant, her belly looks like she decided to eat a whole watermelon, but she also has bones showing.

So now we need help. We have found an awsome person who is going to take her in and care for her, but were all sort of stuck on what to do. We have been feeding her as much wet food as she can eat and encouraging her to drink a lot of water. She has already purked up in the 24 hours we have had her and noticed that the kittens seem to be moving more (you can see them poking every once in awhile).

Can some one gives us tips on this? About labour, the kittens, how to get her nice and healthy for the kittens/milk (were already prepared to bottle feed since she isn't in to good of health and might need some help)...

Thanks!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2011, 11:06 AM

Let nature takes its course. The only time you should interfere with her pregnancy and labor is if there are any complications.

If you want to spend the money, get an x-ray. You will know how many kittens are in there and therefore will know how many to expect. Cats typically go into labor very early morning and will hide. She will make a nest out of site and have them. That is really all you can do and should do.

Give her kitten food. Just like dogs, everything you feed her goes to babies. Her babies are probably very healthy. She gave all she could to them. She will gain weight after she gives birth to them. Just keep out plenty of dry food and fresh water. Supplement her with a high quality kitten canned food. Do NOT give milk. That is a human thing. Cats don't need milk. They are carnivores. Milk has no calories or nutritional values that cats need. She will create milk a few days before or the day of. There is typically never a lot of milk at first. The Colostrum is what the kittens need first and foremost, so don't rip them away from her and start bottle feeding. She may be thin, but she will still be able to feed them. She might get thinner before she gets weight back. Just keep food out for her. She will eat, and she will eat heartly!

Do as little as possible unless you need to. Get the x-ray done and leave her be.
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2011, 11:09 AM

Thank you. We were thinking about getting an X-ray done, but decided not to. Will her small size (and malnurished body) cause more complications? Should we be watching extremely close during labour?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2011, 07:38 PM

Always pay attention to her while she is giving birth, but until you see a problem, there really isn't anything you can do. Without x-rays you won't know how many kittens are inside there, so you won't be able to tell if she has a kitten still in her after she is done with babies.

I have seen some scary thin mama dogs give birth to fat, healthy pups. She is malnurished because she gave up all her fat and nutrients to ensure the survival of her kittens.

Mother Nature is pretty good at taking care of her critters. If you are lucky, you may be able to see the birth. Don't disrupt her and be patient.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2011, 02:41 PM

Emily, I don't know but I am SO GLAD to see you back and posting!

Good to see your name. I've been watching for you.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Apr 29, 2011, 04:55 PM
    If she will eat kitten food, that has more nutrients than adult cat food. Dry may be better... it's at least less expensive. When it's time, and you can see movement easily, I suspect you have a week, give or take. One problem may be where she decides is the right spot... you may not agree, and changing it will upset her, will likely upset her delivery schedule, and she probably will still like her original spot best.
    Remember, you are still basically a stranger to her, just because you have been feeding her, means only that you 'mean ' food to her, not that she can trust you with her babies.
    Here is a link that is pretty helpful on just what you are going in to..

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/giving_birth_to_kittens.html

Best wishes
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2011, 05:25 PM

Thank you paleophlatus! She is allowed anywhere in the house to have the babies, the lady who has offered to take her in is very caring and will allow her to do what she pleases (mostly because she is just to cute to say no to).

And judyKayTee, I have been super busy, I volunteer at the shelter a lot, I've uped the dogs walking time two 3 hours and 2 hours at the puppy park (they were driving me nut with there crazyness), and I work part time again. But I needed to make time because I knew someone on here would help us out with our new kitty!
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2011, 05:39 AM

Just an update, "Precious" had 5 beautiful babies last Monday. There all doing great. Mom was rushed to the vet Monday night as she was vomitting and not feeding the babies, but after a few tests they decided nothing was wrong and thankfully she starting feeding the kittens and stopped vomitting. I haven't been out to see them, but when I do I'll post pictures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitty BJ? [ 10 Answers ]

This is going to sound weird, it does to me anyway. My kitten is giving my two dogs BJ's. I know it sounds dumb but essentially that's exactly what's going on. Now, I believe she is trying to milk (because she is just a kitten) but my dogs allow it it. (two Yorkies) Is this normal and how...

Pregnant kitty [ 2 Answers ]

I think my pregnant kitty is overdue, a few days ago sh had a light bloody discharge, is this normal? She is a small manx kitty, she is eating good and she still is behaving like herself, is there anyway to help her start labor?

Help with kitty [ 10 Answers ]

I need some help. My cat has been missing since 8/12. I have posted about 70 LOST signs in the neighborhood, and printed 50 more today that I will put up tomorrow. I have gone to the shelter and looked there. I have searched online on found cat sites. I have posted online lost cat. I put an ad out...

Pregnant Kitty [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, are the wave-like movements the kittens just moving in the uterus or is it the kittens moving down toward the birth canal? The kittens seem to moving a lot.

View more questions Search