Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neffum Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2011, 08:51 PM
    Arborist at Ohio State University
    Looking for a stark red maple tree, preferably one that won't grow too large. Looked at the blood maple but was disapointed that it wasn't as stark red as I had hoped. The brighter red, the better! Where could I look for this kind of tree in Columbus? Thank you Margaret
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2011, 05:23 AM
    Hi Margaret. You are in my neck of the woods.

In Columbus you can see a good selection at either Straders (My favorite: at Riverside Drive and Hayden Run) or one of the Oakland Nursery locations. And at both locations, the people know what they are talking about. Stay away from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. as the employees there generally don't know as much about the trees that they sell.

I think that you would like the ornamental Maples that grow real slow and will only get about 12 feet tall.
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2011, 05:34 AM

PS. Listen to 610am on Saturday mornings: Gardening with Denny. The guy is a real guru - and you can call in to ask him questions on the air.
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Apr 28, 2011, 05:01 PM
    I have 9 Japanese maples, 4 green and 5 red. The largest is a 25 yr.old blood good about 18', you are correct not deep red. I tend to agree with Rick about lowe's and depot employees, however if you know what your looking for they have the best prices. My last purchase(4 weeks.ago) was a 5gal weeping lace leaf, "Tamukeyama" a finely dissected, dark purple, cascading habit) for $75. in the nurseries at least $150 for this size.

I purchased the upright version of this tree, maximum height 12'- mine is now 5 yrs. Old and only 5',from lowe's at clearence in late November for $25!! I do gamble on planting that close to the cold weather and I have lost some shrubs but never a maple.
    They are all beautiful and putting on a show this time of year, and the fall is maybe even better with bright yellows' and orange. If Tamukeyama is too deep red, I also have a "crimson queen" which is a brighter red/orange.

If money is no object, do go to a nursery. They take a LOT better care of their stock. I hit depot and Lowe's the day they come in and get them out quick in the spring. In the fall if it's on clearance. That means, not even a Lowe's or depot employee could kill it. Pretty tough tree!! BUY IT.
    neffum Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2011, 06:14 PM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    I think the ony way I will ever know what kind of Maple tree that is in my neighborhood is if some one who knows Maple trees can actually go by the house that has it. It isn't real big and I wouldn't want it to be real big. It is absolutely the prettiest and reddest Maple I have ever seen. Maybe someday I can go to OSU and see if they have this tree and if anyone there knows the name of it. It definitely is not at Straders or Oakland Nursery (the ones on or close to Riverside Drive)
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2011, 06:35 AM
    neffum, here are pictures of the tree that is in your neighborhood that you said you liked (via email).

Yes, that appears to be a Japanese Maple Bloodgood.

The tree in the picture appears to be about 15' tall.

Straders (on Riverside Drive) has them in stock ranging from $179 (for small starter trees) to $700 (for more mature ones).

Stop in at the Riverside drive location and ask for one of their arborists: Larry, Erin or Rob.

And by the way: I am not an professional arborist, and I don't work for OSU. I just saw the post and answered it.

And I was especially happy to help by taking the pictures - since the location is fairly close to me.

Also, FYI.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Apr 29, 2011, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GZDZ View Post
    I have 9 Japanese maples, 4 green and 5 red....
    Would you agree that the pictures are indeed japanese maples, bloodgood?
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Apr 29, 2011, 10:13 AM
    Rick,
    I agree 100%.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2011, 11:46 AM

Well, there you have it Margaret. Both I and GZDZ agree with your initial thought: The tree is a japanese maple.

Check out the selection at Straders - and be sure to ask for one of their arborists to help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The state of Ohio won't tell me anything. Want to keep my step children. [ 7 Answers ]

We live in Ohio, I am the step mom, the father left us and moved to DE. He was given custody in Florida when he divorced the biological mother. No word from her in 9 years. I want to keep them, they want to stay with me. I HAVE NO MONEY. Went to court for custody and was told I filed in the...

Move out of state with child in Ohio [ 1 Answers ]

I am a mother of a 8 year old and I'm wishing to move out of the state. It would be a better oppertunitie for the child. I would have a stable job and most of my family lives there. But how do I legally take her out of the state with me. We have joint custody.what are the step to take in Ohio

What is considered abandoned in the state of Ohio [ 4 Answers ]

My child's father has not seen him in over a year and has paid child support once in 5 yrs. And seen him a total of 6 times in 5 yrs. Is that considered abandoned?

State of Ohio hydronic exam [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- When running a water boiler pipe through a floor what is the minimum distance the pipe must go thu the floor and what is the minimum clearance around the pipe?

View more questions Search