Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 04:23 PM
    Repayment for kindness
    Although I was never asked for even a thank you while my lady cared for me last week, I thought it the right thing to do, so over this past weekend all breakfasts were fixed by me and served to my Lady when she woke.

Many, many thanks to this Lady.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 04:32 PM

I hope you didn't burn the toast.

Were you creative with your menus? Did you put on the tray a folded napkin? A bud vase with one red rose? Freshly squeezed oj?

You're a sweetheart, donf, to post a thank-you to her and let all of us know how special she is!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 04:53 PM

What a nice way to say thank you. Too often we take the little things for granted and don't show appreciation for all our loved ones do for us.

Good for you Donf.

Now, I'd really like pancakes, eggs (sunny side up), toast, bacon, and raspberry jam please. No need to serve me in bed, I'll come to the table. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Now, I'd really like pancakes, eggs (sunny side up), toast, bacon, and raspberry jam please. No need to serve me in bed, I'll come to the table. :)
    Can you get to Virginia by morning?
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Can you get to Virginia by morning?
    If pancakes, bacon, and eggs are to be had, I can do my very best. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    If pancakes, bacon, and eggs are to be had, I can do my very best. :)
    Do you even know where Virginia is?

Back to the topic on the table -- I wonder how many husbands would express their thanks like that. I'm swooning over the thought of being so loved. Donf and Mrs. Donf must be quite a couple!

Apr 27, 2011, 09:16 AM

Actually, I knew the minute I met her how special she was for me. We became best friends almost the instant we met. A year later we eloped.

She has stood with me through every thing that has been thrown in our direction regardless of what it was.

But before you ladies go head over heals, I should probably mention that I am a fairly decent cook because of my Lady. While she was pregnant and confined to bed, she taught me how to cook, just to keep from a steady diet of Chef-Boy-ardee (?).

Along the way, I learned to enjoy cooking. I also iron, clean-up and go shopping with her (if I can't get out of it) and yes, I do floors, windows and laundry (including the folding), when asked to pitch in and help (thanks to a summer at Great Lakes Naval Basic Training) and if I may so myself I make a wonderful gravy!

We have always done this together because neither of us are particularly fond of housework!

No big deal and the stuff gets done quicker.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 27, 2011, 02:53 PM

donf, you are wonderful. ;)

I'd be envious if I didn't have Cats. :)

I knew where Virginia was, but after this past month, I think a good bit of geography has been rearranged. :(
    Pets Expert

Apr 27, 2011, 03:21 PM

I do know where Virginia is. Contrary to popular belief, we Canadians (can I actually use that term?) do know a fair bit about the US. In fact, most crossword puzzles I do are US puzzles, and it amazes me how much I know about your fair country. :)

Donf, you are a sweetheart. I have to say, I'm pretty lucky too. Rod loves to cook. I love him for it. Sadly, he's not very good at it. The kids usually end up saying "Daddy, next time let mommy cook so it tastes good". Ouch. But he does try, and I can't ask for more then that. :)

Now, housework, well, that's a no no, but, to be fair, it may be my fault. I'm a bit OCD. Everything has to be done a specific way, and even though hubby and the kids really do want to help, I find myself telling them not to, because they don't do it the way I want it done.

I'm learning to let go of that, but it's a work in progress. :)

Because of it, I put everything on my plate and I'm often worn out. :(

Thank goodness my family loves me.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Apr 29, 2011, 05:31 AM

Donf you are such a gem. :)

Sadly I hate eating in bed, and don't like a cooked brekky either, just fresh fruit and juice.

I do like it when hubby cooks though. He couldn't really cook when we met, but he's a dab hand now. He's stolen all my best recipes, and now makes some of them better than I ever did. Pah! Not mastered my Yorkshire puddings though, which are always popular - though I don't suppose you have those over the pond.

He doesn't know one end of a duster or vacuum cleaner from the other, but he's a whizz with an iron - something I vaguely remember using many years ago... He took over my most hated job and that's the best bit of all. I did supply him with a TV in the laundry room so he can watch footy whilst ironing, so I don't feel quite as mean.

Apr 30, 2011, 11:10 AM

QLP -

My Lady is Scottish - Italian. And please forgive me but my Grandparents emigrated from the Republic of Ireland (If that even applies now-a-days)

I know a great deal about Brides, Meat Pies, Shepard's Pie, Clotted Cream and the like.

Probably one our most popular TV shows is the "Midsummer Murders" series. I think we have seventeen or 18 of them by now.

I have had quite a bit of domestic training since we were married. Some from my lady and most from job experience. For example, I used to work for a dry cleaning company in the Bronx, NY. This company, Windsor, held the dry cleaning contract for all of the Broadway shows and most off Broadway shows.

So I got extremely well versed in folding clothes, ironing and dry cleaning clothes.

To this day, I can fold and iron clothes about 5 times faster than my Lady.

Alten, Where in Canada are you, I I can get unrestricted permission to visit and serve you, I may just bring the full breakfast directly to you.

It is mandatory that I have a full unimpeded permission because for the last 46 years the only Lady I am allowed to care for has imposed an automatic autopsy on any misbehavior by me.

Somewhere in there has to be the word, "No". What ever that means!

I am very blessed in that I have no illusions or misunderstandings about how misbehavior will be tolerated. ("Autopsy").

But in truth, I would never want to be the cause of misery for my Lady. She does not deserve that and I will not hurt her. Plus, if I behave as a reasonable married man, the benefits far outweigh the stupid stuff.

Marriage is easy for me, I enjoy being married and I pretty much see no threat in any other woman because I never have a reason to wonder. I have loved this Lady since being introduced to her and I hope to continue loving her until my last breath.

Her only imperfection is that she would be quite happy if no one had ever invented the game of American Football. Other than that this Lady walks on water for me!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 30, 2011, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    I used to work for a dry cleaning company in the Bronx, NY.
    Are you from the Bronx?

Apr 30, 2011, 08:06 PM

Yes, I lived alongside of the Harlem River, South of Burnside Avenue.

Da Bronx is a delightful place to be from!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 30, 2011, 08:19 PM

I know someone who grew up in Parkchester.

May 1, 2011, 07:26 AM

Sorry, But Parkchester was an upper class area of da Bronx.

They had things called trees and that green stuff on the ground.

We had concrete and cobblestones. I was 16 when I finally saw a real tree. I thought telephone poles were trees. I mean, they both had wood in them, right?

Me and my kind (Irish) were not invited into areas like Parkchester. Da Bronx was very territorial.

However, on the plus side, we did have da Bronx Zoo and da Bronx Botanical Gardens. And New York University, just up the street from my block, had this Hall of Fame outdoor exhibit that we used to sneak into and hang out.

It had busts of the Great Thinkers of the world across time. It was an awsome place and great to hide in a alcove and snuggle up with your "girl".

Memories, Memories!
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2011, 09:51 AM
    Sorry, But Parkchester was an upper class area of da Bronx.

They had things called trees and that green stuff on the ground.

We had concrete and cobblestones. I was 16 when I finally saw a real tree. I thought telephone poles were trees. I mean, they both had wood in them, right?

Me and my kind (Irish) were not invited into areas like Parkchester. Da Bronx was very territorial.

However, on the plus side, we did have da Bronx Zoo and da Bronx Botanical Gardens. And New York University, just up the street from my block, had this Hall of Fame outdoor exhibit that we used to sneak into and hang out.

It had busts of the Great Thinkers of the world across time. It was an awsome place and great to hide in a alcove and snuggle up with your "girl".

Memories, Memories!
    Hey, Goomba! Parkchester was just as Irish (and Jewish and Italian and German) as Burnside Avenue. High class? Nahhh. Middle, with a touch of upper middle, OK.

NYU, in case you haven't been back, is long gone. It's now Bronx Community College - or is it Lehman College? I can't remember. Been a long time for me, too.

And we never called it DA Bronx - it was always just the Bronx. You could look it up. :)

May 2, 2011, 06:10 PM

I know that we call it "The Bronx".

When the words are spoken in "Gutter talk" the word The comes out "Da".

I played H.S. basketball up at the Bronx Campus of NYU one time. It was a Saturday morning Televised Catholic High School game.

Our Team, All Hallows Inst. Played against this team called Power Memorial. Power was a notable team because of this kid called "Little Louie" Alcindor. We could have won that game if Power hadn't scored so many points!

I actually tied him up with the ball at the top of the key and had to jump ball with him. I swear, I came up to about the top of his socks. And when I jumped, I do not think that my outstretched arm cleared his kneecap.

I told the ref to just give them the ball, but no, I had to be humiliated. Such great times!

My other claim to fame is that I worked at Radio City Music Hall as an usher from from '63 through '66.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2011, 08:32 AM
    I played H.S. basketball up at the The Bronx Campus of NYU one time. It was a Saturday morning Televised Catholic High School game.

Our Team, All Hallows Inst. played against this team called Power Memorial. Power was a notable team because of this kid called "Little Louie" Alcindor. We could have won that game if Power hadn't scored so many points!

I actually tied him up with the ball at the top of the key and had to jump ball with him. I swear, I came up to about the top of his socks. And when I jumped, I do not think that my outstretched arm cleared his kneecap.

I told the ref to just give them the ball, but no, I had to be humiliated. Such great times!

A whole slew of Parkchester kids went to All Hallows for basketball - McClory brothers, Kevin Reilly, Fred Weismuller, Tommie (T.J.) Burke, Van Westering, etc. Probably slightly before your time.

That was a great story about you guarding Alcindor - I hope you've been dining out on that one all these years.

I remember playing at Power - huge court. Not against big Lew, though, who, by the way, has developed into a very fine man off the court. Those Christian Brothers probably kicked themselves when Lew became Kareem.

May 4, 2011, 12:40 PM

Tommie Burke is a familiar name. Didn't he play varsity basketball also? This would have been circa '62 / 64.

How about Bobby Cremins? We used to play pick-up basketball in the courtyard just outside of the cafeteria at lunch. Bobby was always my opposition, something else guaranteed to bring humility upon someone.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 04:11 AM
    Tommie Burke is a familiar name. Didn't he play varsity basketball also? This would have been circa '62 / 64.

How about Bobby Cremins? We used to play pick-up basketball in the courtyard just outside of the cafeteria at lunch. Bobby was always my opposition, something else guaranteed to bring humility upon someone.
    Probably same Burke - didn't know Cremins, but vaguely familiar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stressed out and need some words of kindness [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, my boyfriend just turned himself in on a warrant... which was issued today, and he turned himself in today. I know you're supposed to answer and ask questions on here, but I need to talk to someone who has had their significant other arrested... I'm feeling so much right now, and it sucks...

Acts of kindness. [ 10 Answers ]

I'm looking for suggestions of random acts of kindness, the more anonymous, the better. I'm not looking for thanks, recognition, or attention. It's for personal growth, spirituality, and to help my two young sons learn that a helping hand is needed by many, especially the less fortunate.

Random acts of kindness! [ 74 Answers ]

Hi all! I thought it might be interesting to hear stories about "random acts of kindness" from everyone. Something you did for someone? Something someone did for you? Something you saw someone do for someone else? It doesn't matter how big or small... or how insignificant it might seem. ...

Taking Kindness for weakness [ 1 Answers ]

3 weeks ago I got a call from my best friend who is not in the country. He tells me his loser of a step son is being thrown out and would I be able To find him a temporary place. I decide to take the kid in. I would not charge rent and their was no agreement.I figure kids is down on his luck....

Flood her with kindness? [ 5 Answers ]

I got engaged a few weeks ago and I'm really excited! Unfortunately my fiance's sister has a problem with me and I am not quite sure how to handle the situation... See, we used to be friends, but now I can tell she is purposely trying to be rude to me. She won't come straight out and say rude...

View more questions Search