Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwh Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 03:06 AM
    Preserved foodstuffs
    Are all canned foods cancer causing? Should we stop eating sardines, liver pate,and salami? What stabilizers and preserving chemicals should we watch out for?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 05:12 AM
    I don't know of any canned foods that are cancer CAUSING, I may be wrong, but I thought cancer was primarily genetic.

I don't steer clear of any food, I eat everything in moderation.

P.S. I am a cancer survivor.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jan 25, 2007, 05:14 AM
    I have to agree with j9 never heard that one before.

Here is what came up on Google. Doesn't right out and say canned foods will cause cancer.

are canned foods cancer causing - Google Scholar
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pwh
    Are all canned foods cancer causing? Should we stop eating sardines, liver pate,and salami? what stabilizers and preserving chemicals should we watch out for?
    Canned food or veggies I won't say are bad for you but they have added ingredients that are just for perserving them, keeping shelf life viable for sales, added salts, & water, when these veggies sit in this your losing taste as well as nutrition. The most dangerous food additives right now are, Propyl Gallate, used to prevent oils and fats from spoiling, might cause cancer; also used in meat products, potato sticks, soup base and gum; BHT & BHA, to keep fats and oils from going rancid, used in ceral, gum oils and chips, causes cancer in rats; Potassium Bromate, used in breads to increase volume and crumb structure, been banned throughout the world except for the US and Japan; MSG, flavor enhancer, used in soups, dressings, hot dogs, canned tuna, chips, there's a link between sudden cardio death especially in atheletics.; Aspartame, causes brain tumors in rats; Olestra, is a synthetic fat not absorbed by body, in chips; Sodium nitrate, used as a preservative, coloring and flavoring in bacon, ham, hot dogs, lunch meat, corned beef, smoked fish and processed meats, leads to formation of cancer causing chemicals called nitrosamines; Hydrogenated Veg. oil, creates trans fat, promotes heart disease and diabetes. In the Dyes Group, Blue 1-2, may cause cancer, Red 3, cause thyroid tumors in rats, Yellow 6 causes adrenal gland and kidney tumors and contains small amounts of many carcinogens. So fresh and frozen fruits and veggies are definitely the best choice, and just read ingredients of the food you eat and maker wiser choices.:cool:
    rajnbisaria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 04:07 AM

What preservative is harmless in fruit drinks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search