Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 11:23 PM
    GE Washer makes loud noise
    I have an older GE washer (about 5-7 years old) that has started making a loud, dry metallic grinding sound when running.

I had to replace the clutch about 4 years ago and recently the clip that holds it in place came loose and I had to snap it back in place. The washer worked fine for a few weeks, then started running extremely loudly. I've made sure it is level and ran the spin cycle when empty and it still made the noise, so I don't think it's a balance issue.

The clutch has somehow gotten rusty and could be a part of the problem, there is also rust on the motor. I have no idea how either could be rusty, since it's always been inside and I've never noticed any leaks from it. There is no evidence of oil anywhere, but I did notice a good amount of metal shavings, likely from when the clutch came loose.

I can replace the clutch again with no problem, but I wonder if I need to replace the motor, or if it could be something else.

Thanks
    kevin1000 Posts: 12, Reputation: 0

Jan 25, 2007, 10:34 PM
    How is the condition of motor shaft. The clutch is keyed to motor shaft.If is worn so much that the clutch will not staying on securely then it will come loose again.They have a new replacement motor now that is clutchless.They are a lot better motor.single and two speed motor.
    kjak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 02:16 PM
    The motor shaft looks like there has been some stress right at the point where the two posts are that line it up to lock the clutch into place.

What's the price on those clutchless motors and where can I find them?

Thanks
    kevin1000 Posts: 12, Reputation: 0

Jan 28, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kjak
    I have an older GE washer (about 5-7 years old) that has started making a loud, dry metallic grinding sound when running.

I had to replace the clutch about 4 years ago and recently the clip that holds it in place came loose and I had to snap it back in place. The washer worked fine for a few weeks, then started running extremely loudly. I've made sure it is level and ran the spin cycle when empty and it still made the noise, so I don't think its a balance issue.

The clutch has somehow gotten rusty and could be a part of the problem, there is also rust on the motor. I have no idea how either could be rusty, since it's always been inside and I've never noticed any leaks from it. There is no evidence of oil anywhere, but I did notice a good amount of metal shavings, likely from when the clutch came loose.

I can replace the clutch again with no problem, but I wonder if I need to replace the motor, or if it could be something else.

Thanks
    The part number for 1 speed motor is wh49x10029 and for 2 speed is wh49x10035
    I do not have the price on them,but you can call GE part direct line @1800 626-2002
    good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tub makes Loud Popping sound after use [ 2 Answers ]

We have a new home, one year old, and every night after we have given the kids a bath, and have emptied the water, the tub makes a very loud popping sound. This popping happens several times every night and it can continue for up to 8 hrs after the bath. Please advise.

Water line makes Knocking noise [ 3 Answers ]

Every time one of our toilets if flushed, the water line makes a knocking noise.  It never use to do that until we replaced the flapper and flushing valve.  Does anyone know what this might be?  It's very loud! ::)

Sony Triniton makes a loud clicking noise when starting up. [ 1 Answers ]

Sony Triniton makes a loud clicking noise when starting up. It's a brand new TV. The noise it makes vibrates the TV trolley and is too loud. It happens even if it is on standby for 10 minutes. Please advise Thanks Amit Jain

Basement Bathroom Sink Makes Loud Sucking Noise [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about my bottom level bathroom sink (three story town house). When no water is running (or even when it is running) there is a sucking sound coming out of the drain. It is loud enough that you can hear it in the hallway when walking by or near the bathroom. Can you tell...

Furnace makes poping noise [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace makes a popping noise when it shuts off. I tried changing the filter but it still makes the noise. Why is it doing this and how much will it cost to have it fixed?

View more questions Search