Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saurabh000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 11:09 PM
    OPT to H1 status (dual-status?)
    Hi,

This question has been asked a few times already, but I want to confirm.
    I have been in the US on F-1 since 2003. I was working on OPT from June 2005 to Feb 2006, and on H-1 from Mar 2006 onwards.
    Should I file as a resident or dual-status? Based on the previous answers, it seems like I should file as a dual-status, as I pass the substantial presence test.

But reading the IRS publication
    Aliens - Residency Beginning and Ending Dates
    "If you meet the substantial presence test for a calendar year, your residency starting date is generally the first day you are present in the United States during that calendar year."

Doesn't this mean that my residency start state is January 1, 2007, and I should file as a resident for the whole year?

Thanks!
    Saurabh
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Saurabh:

You started the year as a non-resident alien, and ended the year as a resident alien. SInce you met both the 31-day rule and the Substantial Presence Test, you have no option: you must file as a dual-status alien.

This is a complex return that requires preparation of BOTH a Form 1040 and 1040NR. I recommend you get professional tax help to file.

You will be able to file as a resident alien for tax year 2007.

Contact me at [email protected] if you want professional tax help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Status and OPT taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a few questions about Dual Status and OPT taxes. I would appreciate if anyone can answer my questions. I was a student on F1 status from Jan 2002 till June 12 2005. I worked on my OPT from Dec 2004 till 12th June 2005 and then my H1 came into effect. I called the IRS to enquire if...

OPT to H1 in June05, Dual status for SST& Med Tax [ 3 Answers ]

I came to states ( F-1) on Aug, 2002, I began to work on my OPT (optional practical training )from Jan to June 2005, then from June 20, 2005 I converted F-1 to H1-B visa and started working on H1-B for the same employer. However, my employer has deducted my Social Security taxes & Medicare...

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

A dual status? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi guys, I know there are lots of message about dual status on this site. However, I'm still confused by if I'm dual status. Could someone help me according to my situation? 6/2000 entered the States Sep 2004 to July 4, 2005 on OPT July 5,2005 on H1B status Re-entered the States on Oct 2005...

Should I, as OPT and H1-b, report as dual-status? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my situation is quite similar with many people here. I stayed in US as OPT from Sep. 2001 to May, 2005 and as H1-b from May, 2005 until now. And I am single. My questions are, 1) Should I report as dual-status for sure? Or Can I report as a resident alien(1040) only? 2) For example,...

View more questions Search