Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karenr21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2011, 08:39 AM
    What is a flying bug that makes a dirt hill, but not an ant?
    The bug makes a dirt hill that looks like an ant hill but is not an ant. It flys above the ground when they come out about may. They don't bite or sting. I can't grow grass where they are.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2011, 08:47 AM

Termites (but not all fly or go out in the sun)? What do the look like and how big are they, how big is the hill if they are undisturbed... and where exactly (state and country is fine).
    karenr21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2011, 08:15 AM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    The hills are about 4" around and the hole is about as big around as a pencil. The bug flies really fast, but I think they have black wings They are near the road, not near the house. They don't bother or bite me when I walk through them. There is no shade where they are, It's full sun.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2011, 08:25 AM

Ok, but where it this... Austrailia... Ireland, the USA? If we knew this as well we can narrow down the possibilities a lot.
    javd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 08:02 AM
    We have something similar in the USA (Delaware). The hills are very large. Comes back every summer. Bug is large too and almost bee like but much larger than any wasp, bee, hornet I've ever seen. There is one that has made a hill next to my house and under the rain spout (gutter) catcher. Trying to figure out what it is. People have told me its an annual cicada but I'm not sure. It does seem to swarm at us whenever we go outside.
    bigraymcn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2012, 11:45 AM
    I have this condition in Catskill NY. The hills are granular in nature my soil is
    Clay. The hills are 4" to 6" s tall. I seldom see a bug; the hole is about 1" in
    Diameter, and not by the house but rather my patio and my driveway. Any ideas?
    Ray

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looks like an ant with wings [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small insect that looks like an ant with wings , its crawling on my floor it will fly low .

Ant extermination [ 1 Answers ]

I keep having problems with ant mounds on my lawn and walkway. I have tried Seven dust, grits and a few other things. The ants just abandon the mound and build a new one a few feet away. How do I get rid of the ants for good?

Identification of Ant [ 1 Answers ]

The Australian ant was purplish-blue, about one inch long and had light blue wings almost as long as its thorax and abdomen. What was it?

Venting up hill or down hill [ 2 Answers ]

So tell me this does it matter if the vent is up hill or down hill from the drain That might be confusing what I meant was does it matter if the vent is before or after the drain

Ant Troubles . [ 4 Answers ]

Hi!. The past few days we are having these strange ants on our kitchen widow sill. They are not like normal ants and I was concerned that they might be termites. They don't travel in a line and don't seem to be drawn to food in particular. They are smaller than a normal red ant and seem to...

View more questions Search