Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mark4jon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US.
    Hi David,

I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread.

I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien.
    I got married in India in Dec 2006.My wife has yet to enter the US and intends to do so
    Only in December 07 (on an h4).

q1) I would like to know if I am allowed to file as Married (Jointly or separately)?

q2) From previous posts I have a fair a idea that I will have to apply for an ITIN (via W-7)
    While filing my tax return. However the W7 (6d) ask for "Entry date in US"; which she obviously does not have. Can it be left blank ?

q3) She has income for 2006 earned in India. Will I have to add it in my return (if we are filing jointly)?

q4) Is there any benefit or downside to filing "married filing separately" for my case ?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
    Vik
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Vik:

1) Yes, you can file jointly with your wife. For filing jointly, the physical location of yout spouse is irrelevant.

2) Yes, it can be left blank.

3) Yes. Her income IS subject to U.S. taxes if she files jointly with you.

4) Depends on how much money she made in India. There is no longer a "marriage penalty" in the income tax return, so filing separately only results in losing her exemption and her half of the $10,300 standard deduction.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2007, 08:18 PM
    ATE,

I have heard that if you get an ITIN for a nonresident alien spouse and the spouse has no U.S. source income, that you can file married filing separate and still claim the personal exemption for your spouse. I was curious if you had heard of this?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2007, 10:24 PM
    If you are a resident alien, then you MUST file jointly to claim your wife's exemption.

Some non-resident aliens can claim their spouses as dependents, but it depends on their national origin. Those from Canada and Mexico can, as well as certain teachers, students and researchers from India. There are other exceptions as well.
    Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2007, 10:00 AM
    According to IRS publication 17 (page 25): "If you file a separate return, you can claim the exemption for your spouse only if your spouse had no gross income, is not filing a return, and was not the dependent of another taxpayer. This is true even if the other taxpayer does not actually claim your spouse as a dependent. This is also true if your spouse is a nonresident alien."

Not only this, but section 872(a) provides that gross income of a nonresident alien only includes U.S. source income and income effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business. Thus, as long as the nonresident alien spouse has no income from the U.S. the U.S. citizen/resident should be able to claim the spouses exemption on a married filing separate tax return (as long as the spouse has an ITIN).
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Okay, I will concede the point that Vik can file a Married Filing Separately return and claim his wife's exemption in order to get his wife's personal exemption without having to claim her foreign-based income. Learn something new every day.

However, by taking that action, Vik forfeits his wife's share of the Standard Deduction, which is a $5,150 deduction. It also makes him liable for a generally higher tax rate on his income (though this is true only in the higher tax rates) and ineligible for the Earned Income Credit, the education credits/deduction and the Child care credit (most of the time).

If Vik's wife paid taxes on her foreign-based income, he can file jointly and claim the Foreign Tax Credit for those taxes. I suspect that Vik will do better by filing jointly and claiming this credit.
    Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2007, 02:47 PM
    I agree. Filing jointly may be better.
    mark4jon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IntlTax
    I agree. Filing jointly may be better.

Thanks guys. I didn't know about the foreign tax credit. I'm looking into it now, So I'll be better informed .

VIk
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 12:08 AM
    Glad to help!
    Saan2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2010, 09:50 PM
    Does anyone know a tax preparer for preparing such tax return... i.e.. spouse is in India and here he/she if filing married joint tax return... will be of great help... Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 01:11 PM
    I will prepare such a return; it IS what I do! :-)

Contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file returns with married status if wife is not present in US. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am at Santa Clara California since 1st Sep 2006 on L1 Visa. My wife suppose to be here on L2 by October, but due to some reason she couldn't make it. So, she will be here by January 18th 2007. Now, with my company I was on payroll with married status. Yesterday I got W2 form and this is my...

Taxes for married filing OPT(self), F1(wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident of India, I have been in the US from Aug 2004. My wife has been in the US since Aug 2005. I just finished my Masters and am working full time in OPT status. My wife is still in F1 status. Should my employer cut Social Security and Medicare taxes? We wanted to file in...

On H1 Married and wife in india + filing tax returns... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US - California from Oct 30 2005 to Dec 25 2005. For this period, I have W2 from my empoloyer. Now again back in US - Iowa in Feb 10, 2006 and will be here for another 6months. I am married, no children and my wife is in India and will be joining me only in May or June 2006. I got...

To file jointly or separately? Help needed please [ 1 Answers ]

Need help chosing best filing option for my wife and I. We live in NJ, I work in NYC, wife works in NJ. Is it better to file jointly or separately? NY taxes on NY income only, but does use total income (wife + mine) for rate base calculations. Wondering which filing options would be best... ...

Married Dual State Tax (NY , PA).. File Separately? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a question. I recently started a job here in PA (state flat rate tax ~3.07%) and commute back to NYC on the weekends. My wife still lives/works in NY (city and state ~10%). We haven't decided on whether to move to PA or not. For this year should I change my address to a place...

View more questions Search