Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abtsc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 07:48 PM
    Liens
    Can credit card companies put a lien on my house?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Yes they can.

But first, they must get a judgement against you for the debt in court.
    Dwight_Pigg Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Jan 25, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Yes they can.

But first, they must get a judgement against you for the debt in court.
    Captain Forest is absolutely correct. FYI: The credit card company is not required to serve you court papers in most states. They will go to court and get a default judgement, because you weren't there to defend yourself.
    You will probably find out about the judgement after it is granted.

I am not an attorney and this should not be considered legal advice. Seek local counsel in this matter.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Credit Card or debt collector must file at the court, they must serve you with notice of the filing for you to defend yourself against their claim in all states.

Everyone is entitle to defend thenselves against any claim, and is entitle to due process of the law. No short cuts!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 25, 2007, 11:54 AM
    In most US states, a creditor cannot file a lien against a primary residence for unsecured debt. So the likelihood of that happening is small.

Also, I disagree with Dwight, here. A good faith effort needs to be made to inform the debtor of the court hearing to obtain the judgement. Its true that some creditors will try to fudge that effort to obtain a default judgement when you don't show up. But they have to show some effort.

Jan 27, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    Credit Card or debt collector must file at the court, they must serve you with notice of the filing for you to defend yourself against their claim in all states.

Everyone is entitle to defend thenselves against any claim, and is entitle to due process of the law. No short cuts!!
    In the State of Ohio, credit card companies are NOT serving papers to people who they file a lawsuit against. According to my attorney, they are only required to advertise in the legal notices section of the local paper.

Why am I so sure about this?

This happened to me personally 13 years ago.

While I thought I was working out a payment arrangement with the credit card company, I was notified that a default judgement had been granted against me because I didn't show up for a hearing that I didn't know anything about.

During my 15 years in the mortgage business, I have discovered that many of my clients have also been given no notice by credit card companies and have only found out about the suit after the default judgement was filed.

Every state is different and I am not an attorney. I do not know if this practice is limited to my state. This is NOT legal advice. This IS my factual personal experience.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight_Pigg
    FYI: The credit card company is not required to serve you court papers in most states.
    Hello Dwight:

Nahh. Anybody getting sued MUST be properly served first. Service by publication, IS a legal form of service.

excon

Jan 28, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Gentlemen,

My point in this thread is that you may have no idea that you are being sued until you receive the notification of default judgement.

Let me further clarify what I meant: Don't expect someone to show up at your door and don't expect a letter to arive with a notice that you are being sued.

I know that service by publication is legal but most people don't read the legal notice section in the paper, thus they have no idea until it is too late. There is no other "good faith effort" required where I live.

Also: I negotiate payoffs for judgement liens on properties every day. Many are placed by credit card companies.
    It is very common for credit card companies to seek judgements and place liens on real estate.

Every state is different and I am not an attorney. This is NOT legal advice. This is my factual personal experience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Property Liens [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Nicole Bridges. I am currently behind 5 months in my Condo Assessment fees. Can the Condo Association put a lien against my property for being behind in my assessment fees? Please advise. Thanks, Nicole Bridges

Liens [ 1 Answers ]

From an Ontario Canada perspective, can a collection agency put a lien on a house when trying to collect on a student loan that is over 10 years old?

Tax certificate liens [ 1 Answers ]

I'm just starting looking at different investments. Is anyone currently investing in tax certificate liens? What are the pros and cons?

Mechanic Liens and Chapter 11 Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a mechanics lien is discharged in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy or does it make the lien holder a securred creditor? We are in NJ but I don't know if location has anything to do with it when a national retailer is involved. Difficult question but I need to know a proper answer not a...

View more questions Search