Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Abusedlove Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2011, 04:08 AM
    Emotionally abusive relationship... with 6 month old.
    My husband and I tried to make our marriage work in order to avoid a custody battle over our 6 month old daughter. Lately he has started a new job. With this new job came new responsibilities and a new attitude. Every morning when he leaves for work I am informed of something new I have done wrong, and every night I am told how much I failed to accomplish while he was at work. He tells me daily that I fail as a mother and wife.
    I want to leave this abuse, but I do not want to lose my daughter. She is 6 months old but only weighs 10 pounds. She was born 2&1/2 months early and spent over a month and a half in NICU. I quit my job to stay home with her. She has multiple needs, mostly dealing with her feedings and weight gain. If I did leave my parents have already offered to take me in. Plus if I were to go back to work part time, my mother has cared for premies in the past. I could trust her to care of my miracle while I was away. What are my chances if getting full custody? At least until she can eat solid food?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 23, 2011, 04:17 AM

Your chances are pretty good of getting primary physical custody. It is highly likely you will get joint legal custody and he will get visitation. Though I think it unlikely he will get more than a couple of hours at a time until the health issues are resolved.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 23, 2011, 04:23 AM
    First you need to say where you live. Laws vary.
    Your chances of full physical custody might start one way and change, and visitation is part of the decision too. Courts don't like to prevent one parent from having anything to do with a child if at all possible.
    I wouldn't let this stop you from telling your husband that you and the baby are going to visit your mother for 2 weeks, and talking to a divorce lawyer about the next step.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 23, 2011, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Abusedlove View Post
    ... With this new job came new responsibilities and a new attitude. Every morning when he leaves for work I am informed of something new I have done wrong, and every night I am told how much I failed to accomplish while he was at work. He tells me daily that I fail as a mother and wife.
    I want to leave this abuse, ...
    Are you quite sure he fully understands that you regard this as abusive? Men see the world from a different perspective than normal people. He probably sees it as simply alerting you to a problem and requesting that the problem be corrected. He is probably more than slightly frustrated that you never seem to listen.

Give him fair warning that he is abusing you and that if he doesn't figure out how to permanently correct his behavior you will divorce him and seek custody of the child. This probably will require some serious counseling on his part.
    nesha83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2011, 08:55 AM
    First I am sorry, I know how you feel. In Texas, where I lived you probably wouldn't get full custody unless you could prove he is physically and emotionally abusive. This is recorded conversations, witnesses, etc. However, most states do support women as primary custody, despite what they may say. So even though it is unfair to men, blah blah blah, it's the way it is, so your chances are pretty good. Looks like that ideal that women are better are caregivers is finally working in our favor eh? ;)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 23, 2011, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nesha83 View Post
    First I am sorry, I know how you feel. In Texas, where I lived you probably wouldn't get full custody unless you could prove he is physically and emotionally abusive. This is recorded conversations, witnesses, etc. However, most states do support women as primary custody, despite what they may say. So even though it is unfair to men, blah blah blah, its the way it is, so your chances are pretty good. Looks like that ideal that women are better are caregivers is finally working in our favor eh? ;)
    This was posted in the law boards. And that is what should be quoted or given when making an answer here. Your opinion isn't about the law. So please try to answer correctly in this and other technical sections of AMHD. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My adult daughter is verbally and emotionally abusive to me [ 8 Answers ]

I brought my adult daughter home when she needed back surgery. This was 16 months ago. She is still living with me. I provide food , shelter and little by little, she is demanding more and more of my financies - e.g. for cigarettes, taxi cabs, special food, etc, and when she does not get what she...

Is my boyfriend emotionally abusive? [ 48 Answers ]

I instinctively think I AM in an emotionally abusive relationship, but it's REALLY difficult to swallow. I'm afraid everyone will tell me "just get out now"~ which is sound advice, but hardly descriptive enough. Here's some background information: We met one year ago. He's from Armenia, and...

When my husband drinks he becomes emotionally abusive [ 6 Answers ]

What should I do? He drinks every day but this put a strain on our relationship and he agreed to stop. He claims to have been self medicating but has not revealed what for (I suspect a mental disorder). Though not working at the moment I am cleaning the house, cooking, making a nice home for him....

Husband is 20 yrs older & is emotionally abusive [ 4 Answers ]

I married my husband 3 yrs ago in the US after months of courtship from the Phils. He is 2o yrs my senior, a widower, with 2 married sons from his deceased wife. I loved my husband so much but could not take his verbal & emotional abuses to me anymore. He keeps on complaining that I do not...

Disfunctional emotionally abusive husband [ 2 Answers ]

I have previously posted on "I walked in on my husband masturbating" and need more follow up. My husband is "functionally sick". What exactly does that mean? I agree with the advice I have been given so far. Obviously after all these years I am at a road block and need more information. It seems...

View more questions Search