Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andymag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2011, 12:36 AM
    If supplies are bought on credit, what is the journal entry
    If supplies are bought on credit, and you debit supplies (asset), credit accounts payable do you also debit supplies axpense
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2011, 09:16 AM

The expense account is not debited until the supplies are actually used.

Think of it this way: When you puchase the supplies you are purchasing them in advance, just like when you purcahse an insurance policy. The supplies are a current asset just like prepaid insurance, but when you use the supplies they are expensed, just like insurance.

Your journal entry for the purchase of supplies will be:
    Debit Supplies (Balance sheet account, current asset) for the amount
    Credit Accounts Payable (Balance sheet account, current liabilities) for the amount

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where does supplies bought on credit go on the Trial Balance sheet? [ 1 Answers ]

If office supplies were bought by credit card, where does the transaction go on the trial balance sheet, on the debit or credit side? If office supplies are bought with a credit card where does the transaction go on a trial balance sheet, in the debit column or in the credit column?

Supplies used $200 .journal entry [ 6 Answers ]

Journal entry supplies used $200

How to write the journal entry for supplies on cash [ 1 Answers ]

Journalise supplies on hand at the end of the year $3000

What do I debit/credit in journal entry/adjusting entry? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am unsure about the correct way to debit/credit these entries. Can someone help me? Window Washing Company opened on July 1, 2010. During July the following transactions were completed: July 1 Issued 14,456 shares of common stock for $14,456 cash. July 1 Purchased used truck for...

Journal Entry - Supplies bought on credit [ 3 Answers ]

I am having trouble with this problem (although I know it must be simple to answer!). Someone please, please help!! If your company purchased supplies on credit, hwo would you record this journal entry? Then when you make a partial payment to your credit account, how would you record that...

View more questions Search