Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swthrt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Assets & Liabilities
    Would employee wages be an example of a decrease of an asset and a decrease of a liability? If so what would be the journal entry?

Thanks.
    jeffp Posts: 30, Reputation: 7

Jan 24, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by swthrt
    Would employee wages be an example of a decrease of an asset and a decrease of a liability? If so what would be the journal entry?

Thanks.

The only way I can see it being just those 2 is to decrease cash ( an asset) and also decrease accrued salaries/ payroll (a liability) Assuming that the wages had been accrued.

Perhaps someone else reads more into this than I do
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Scenario 1:
    Let's say your employees have worked for you for 2 weeks and now you must pay them $400 that you owe them.

The JE would be:
    Dr. Wages Expense 400 (increasing an expense)
    Cr. Cash 400 (decreasing an asset).

Scenario 2:
    Let's say you owe your employees the same $400. However you must prepare your financial statements today, and are not paying them until next week.

Your JE would be:
    Dr. Wages Expense 400 (increasing an expense)
    Cr. Wages Payable 400 (increasing a liability).

Next week when you pay them, your JE would be:
    Dr. Wages Payable 400 (decreasing a liability)
    Cr. Cash 400 (decreasing an asset)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Assets, Liabilities and equity [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know if this is correct, if its not an explanation would be great :) I'm not an accounting student, just taking it for GE and I'm just confused.. Indicate where each tansaction causes an increase (+), decrease (-) or no change (NC) in assets, liabilities and equity (type of...

Freezing & Seizing Assets [ 4 Answers ]

I have a court judgment in the amount of approx. $40,000 plus interest against a man now living in Las Vegas, NV. The judgment occurred in South Dakota, and has been filed with legal authorities in both states. He has made no effort to pay this judgment, even though he frquently plays in poker...

Transfer of Liabilities [ 1 Answers ]

How can a LLC transfer liabilities to a Corporation? They have the same owner.

Liabilities Question [ 1 Answers ]

12. Georgia Tent Company’s total liabilities on August 31, 2002 were $200,000. On September 1, 2002, the Georgia Tent Company purchased $100,000 of supplies on account from Camper World. On September 25, 2002, Georgia Tent purchased an additional $50,000 of supplies on account from Rural Vendors....

Return on Assets & Return on Equity [ 1 Answers ]

Question... Lily Cosmetics has annual sales of $500,000,000. They maintain a net after tax profit margin of 5% and they have a sales-to-assets ratio of 4. A) What is the Return on assets? B) If the debt/equity ratio is 0.5, what is the Return on Equity?

View more questions Search