Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    th5alb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2011, 07:57 AM
    Oil stain on aslphalt liability (driveway)
    Hi,

My car started leaking oil onto an asphalt driveway. The only thing I can think of that could have caused this was that very recently a rock or something hit the bottom of my car as I was driving and must have damaged the oil pan or something similar. The property is part of a community so I assume they own the driveway, the house itself is rented. I first tried a commercial product to clean the oil. That was before I knew that what I was using was not supposed to be used on asphalt (I did read the directions, they didn't warn me of this). After cleaning and rinsing I went to sleep, the next morning to my shock there was a huge brown run-off stain going across the road, I was ready to panic. I took the day off and used water and soap to clean the road and thank god the run-off came out. I was very happy, however the oil stains did not come out where they originally leaked onto the blacktop. So now I'm worried what to do about it. I have a feeling that someone will seek damages for whatever reason and that I won't be able to pay for it (who knows how much that might cost). Now my real question, would the car insurance cover this? I think that it technically should since it was really the car that did the damage but you never know of course. I am with Geico and I sent them an email asking them. Any thoughts will be appreciated and I'll post too when I hear back from the insurance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2011, 08:49 AM

No, this is not the result of an accident. Geico will not cover it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 22, 2011, 09:56 AM

Judy is right, this will not be covered by insurance. Chances are almost zero anyone will seek damages but if they did you could offer to coat the driveway with tar emulsion, driveway coating sold at most hardware and box stores for $15
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 22, 2011, 10:12 AM

Do you have renter's insurance?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hydraulic oil spilled onto driveway [ 3 Answers ]

On Thursday I had some building materials delivered. The young driver asked if he could park partially onto my neighbours driveway to unload the building sand and slabs and gravel. When he was dropping the bag of gravel his hose pipe burst on the hydraulic crane lift and spurted out hydraulic oil...

Cleaning oil off driveway [ 3 Answers ]

I have a black top driveway and have motor oil and probably other motor fluid stains on it. How do I get them off?

Oil on asphalt driveway [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to remove oil of a leaky car from my asphalt driveway?

View more questions Search