Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Imafighter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2011, 10:19 AM
    Were my hippa rights violated?
    My former manager (and former friend) went to my pharmacy and requested my complete medical list without my consent. She told the pharmacist that I was a patient of the doctors office we worked at and then she used this information to write me a registered letter to basically tell me that I had received 2 prescriptions from my dr/employer and he did not know about it.. and for me not to contact the office. She lied to the pharmacy and they released my information and she is telling everyone at the office that I got two prescriptions on my own, which was not the case... What can I do...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2011, 10:21 AM

The Pharmacist violated your HIPAA (not HIPPA) rights if the Pharmacist gave your records to anybody without your consent.

Are you being accused of falsifying prescriptions, forging the signature of a Physician where you used to work?

If she is slandering you, ruining your reputation, causing you money damages, that's one issue.

The HIPAA violation could result in the Pharmacy being warned/fined. That's another issue.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 10:31 AM

Yes if this person did not provide the doctor a release, UNLESS, if this person works at a doctors office and they were asking for only a record of the prescriptions they wrote, then that would be only verification, they could provide the writing doctors office with copies of matierial sent from their own office.

If of course it is proven you forged prescriptions, I doubt anyone would care about the violation.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 11:22 AM
    Some of the what OP is writing her is confusing, so just that we can understand accurately what is being asked, let me verify:

"My former manager" - someone who was the manager of the place where OP works?

"complete medical list" - list of prescriptions filled for the OP by the pharmacist?

So this former boss wrote you a letter stating that you had presented prescriptions to the pharmacist which the doctor, who supposedly wrote them, didn't in fact do so? And you were instructed not to contact who?

Aug 12, 2011, 04:27 PM
    My manager gave me 2 prescriptions, and told me that the dr I was working for, at that time, wrote them for me so that I could stay at work, and not leave for the afternoon. She wanted to leave, and said she needed me to stay at the office. She was having an affair and wanted to leave for the rest of the day to be with her lover...

Aug 12, 2011, 04:34 PM
    My manager made me think that she spoke with my employer (dr) and discussed with him that I was leaving to go to the doctor to refill my meds and I believed her. I was taking an anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxer and pain medication for sciatic nerve injury in my back.. I had to be out a few days... That's when I got the letter.

I also went to the pharmacy after I got the letter and the pharmacist told me that she did not have any consent, she said that she was from the office and needed to pick up my medication list because the dr had some questions as to my medications... She got my ENTIRE RECORD!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2011, 05:14 PM

Let me see if I can interpret this. What you seem to be saying is that you work in a doctor's office. The office manager gave you two prescriptions (were these actual pills or written scripts?) in order to have you stay in the office while she left. Your employer is not YOUR doctor. In addition the manager has written a letter to you stating that you received the prescriptions without your employer's knowledge.

A separate issue is that your office manager went to the pharmacy and got your complete record even though the pharmacists acknowledged that she did not have consent.

Is that the story?

If so, what do you want to do about this. The pharmacy appears to have violated HIPAA and, if reported could be fined, and the person who actually turned over the info could be fired.

If the manager is falsely accusing you of forging prescriptions or stealing drugs, you have to deal with that.
    Mr.Wolfe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 04:59 AM
    Huge violation on part of pharmacists and potential felony on part of your ex friend.
    Call the FDA on this issue.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2012, 05:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wolfe View Post
    Huge violation on part of pharmacists and potential felony on part of your ex friend.
    Call the FDA on this issue.

This is a legal thread - how did you reach the conclusion that this is an FDA concern?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My hippa has been violated, and the Dr. I worked for used his title to violate it... [ 5 Answers ]

I worked at a family practice office. While working I injuried my LF iknee. It got to the point my Dr. I world for started getting on my nerves, and didn't want to let me leave for my Dr. appointment. So I got an attorney. I had surgery on my Knee twice; however while in my pt appointment I heard...

Were my Hippa rights violated by my HR department? [ 9 Answers ]

I recently had issues with my HR department regarding a recent workman's comp claim I filed for an on duty injury. I had difficulty getting support from the DOL and found out that the HR staff person assigned to my case was not qualified or had not been trained to handle my case. She advised she...

Was the Hippa law violated [ 1 Answers ]

My psychiatist answered a call from me while another patient was sitting in his office.. the other patient heard the entire conversation and then asked a question in relation to the my copayment for my next visit. The Dr. went on to tell the patient that based on my income he knows I can afford his...

Supervisor violated hippa rights [ 2 Answers ]

I had an intermittent FMLA case opened with my employer. My supervisor called my Dr's office told them that she worked for the disability department (which she does not, disablity is outsourced with another company) and was in need of my medical records to complete my case however,I don't have a...

Were my HIPPA rights violated? [ 37 Answers ]

I revoked my consent for my medical records and my son's medical records to be released to anyone other than myself. The provider released them to a third party who in turn released them in error to someone else. They cannot fix the mistake now, they will not apologize in writing... what if any...

View more questions Search