Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AsIsay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Washing machine - low hot water pressure.
    First of all - Hi every one.

I have a hotpoint washer which reports an error after 15 minutes. E11 check water supply.

I have looked into this error and it means there is no (not enough) hot water after 15 minutes.

I do not know if it is coincidental but I fitted a (replacement) new shower and installed an isolating stop valve. There is a pipe (cold) that runs up the side of the hot water tank and into the top of the tank, branched off this half way down is the pipe to the shower with a few elbow joints and the isolating valve - this valve can't affect the hot water tank can it?

The cold water pressure seems perfect through out the house. The hot water pressure has never been anywhere near as strong. It appears to be the same as always BUT in the kitchen the hot water pipe goes up to the sink and the pressure is fine, this pipe branches off to the hot supply of the washer. The stop tap is turned all the way on and when I hold the pipe over a bucket the water is only trickling out.

Would it make sense to cut the pipe and replace including the stop tap?
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 24, 2007, 04:50 PM
    There's a good chance your problem is actually located at the washer's end of the deal. Try shutting off the valves that the washer supply hoses are connected to, then disconnect the hose ends from the washer. Put the ends of the hoses into a sink or large bucket and experiment a little: when the valves are turned on, does the cold water indeed come out stronger than the hot water? If not, then your problem is obviously with the washer, not the piping. If yes, then the problem may be elsewhere after all.

Let me know what happens.
    Moishe
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Moshie's correct. Have you checked the screens on the hoses? Unscrew the hoses from the shut off valves and ckeck and clear the screens. If the screens are clear and there's still a trickle get back to me with all the details you have. I don't think the shut off valve for the shower has anything to do with your problem. Regards, Tom
    AsIsay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 05:35 PM
    Hi, I took off the hot and cold pipes leading to the washer and (roughly) connected them to the kitchen sink cold water tap and the flow was the same on both.

I then put a basin under the hot water pipe that supplies the washer and turned the valve so that water should have spurted out. The water didn't even lift higher than 1 cm in the air and therefore it was just a very small trickle. Blockage in pipe / stop valve between washer and t section of hot water pipe?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2007, 05:42 AM
    The next step would be to shut the water off at the house stop and take the washer valve off. Hold a bucket under the open pipe and have someone turn the water on for a second. Getting a strong stream now? This will be solved be the process of elimination so start workingt backward. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 40 gallon water heater with copper pipes in the house. My problem is very low hot water pressure. The cold seems to be working fine. I also seem to run out of hot water fairly quickly while showering. This is a U.S. Craftmaster water heater that looks to be fairly new, though, I just...

No Hot Water In Washing Machine [ 3 Answers ]

i'm not getting hot water to my washing machine, but everywhere in the rest of the house its fine. What do i need to do?:confused:

Low hot water pressure [ 4 Answers ]

Within the past month, we have had to turn the shower/bath water dials almost all the way to hot (in both bathrooms) to get any hot water. Last week when we cleaned out hot water tank. We conneted a hose to the valve and flushed the tank for several minutes. It did not appear to have been...

No hot water in the washing machine [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: The hot and cold lines leading into the washer are OK, but for some reason the washer only runs cold. Not warm or hot? What could be the problem?

Low hot water pressure [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there, I have purchased a relatively new home (7 years old) and have found most recently that the hot water pressure has decreased considerably. The cold water pressure has remained constant but unlike other enquires to this site - all my taps have been affected. I flushed the bottom of the...

View more questions Search