Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sylvester1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2011, 06:58 AM
    Ceiling light wiring-1 dimmer switch and 1 wall switch
    My new ceiling light has black,white and green wires. My ceiling box has 1 single black,1 copper, 2 white grouped together and 2black and a 1white grouped together. How do I connect my new light with only 3 wires to all the ceiling box wires. I have a dimmer switch on one side of the room and a regular light switch on the other side of the room.
    Please help.
    Thank you in advance,
    Colleen
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 20, 2011, 08:10 AM

Colleen,

What a fine and beautiful name you have, lassie.

Okay, I need to know if the snap switch is a three way switch or not. The easiest way to know this is to look at the handle of the switch. If you see the words "On" and "Off" on the handle, then you have a simple snap switch.

If you do not see those words, then you have either a three way or four way switch.

Your wiring grouping does not make sense, can you please take a picture of the outlet for the light as well as the dimmer switch (we will call it "SW 2") connections as well as the snap switch ("SW 1") and use the advanced tab to clip them to this thread.

Normally you will have a supply cable to the lighting outlet. That would be a Black/white and bare ground to feed the circuit.

I suspect that you have two switch loops, one to feed the snap switch and one to feed the dimmer, I will not know for sure until I see the wiring at the switches.

Normally, the white wires from the switch loops are connected to the black on the supply line. They feed the switches. The blacks from the switch loops return from the switches to the fixture.

The White from the supply cable will connect to the white on the light. All of the bare conductors will connect to the green wire on the light. The blacks from the switches will connect to the black on the light.

Make sure you do this with the circuit power off to protect yourself from getting shocked.
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

May 7, 2011, 08:46 AM
    IT sounds like you have power feeding the fan and then feeding the two switches; you might call the switches "end of the run" switches. A way to tell might be taking the cover plate off both switches and checking if you only have set of cable in each. If this is the case, you would probably wire your black fan wire to your single black wire, the white fan wire to the 2 whites grouped together (NOT the two blacks and one white), and of course attach the ground wires. Since I don't have a clear picture, I'm not positive this is correct, but I think it is. Hope this helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring for ceiling fan w/ light & one wall switch [ 7 Answers ]

I installed a new Harbour Breeze ceiling fan with a light to replace my old ceiling fan. My house wire is black, red, white, and green (ground). My fan has black, white, blue, and green. My current connections are: House black to fan black; house white to fan white; house red to fan-light blue;...

Swapping Dual Light Switch for Dimmer/Three Position Switch for Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to swap out a dual switch for a switch that has a dimmer for the ceiling fan light and a three position switch to control the fan. The original wiring had white to white on switch, black to black on switch, and one black from light connected to the top switch pole and the other black...

Wiring a ceiling fan with light from a wall switch [ 15 Answers ]

When I built my house I prewired a switch to the outside. My plan was to install a ceiling fan with light in and continue on with a flood light. What I want to do is to be able to operate the flood light from the wall switch and operate the ceiling fan and light from the pull strings only. I did...

Wiring for DUAL wall switch to control Ceiling Fan and Light Separately [ 20 Answers ]

Greetings. I recently bought a new ceiling fan and light kit to replace one that had been in my sun porch for over 20 years. A dual wall switch was always used to control the light and fan separately on the older fan. The fan speeds were controlled by pull chain. Before I took the old fan down, I...

Need assistance wiring ceiling fan/light to wall switch with dimmer [ 2 Answers ]

The celing outlet has one 3-conductor wire running to the wall outlet (black, white, red, ground). I hooked up the celing fan's white to outlet's white, the ground to ground and then ceiling fan's black to black. I also hooked the fan's light wiring (blue) to the outlet black. FAN OUTLET...

View more questions Search