Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rcmsw4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2011, 11:39 AM
    Child Support and SSI benefits
    I have physical custody of my son. My ex wife receives SSI payments, and my son receives payments from her SSI claim. Is she still legally obligated to pay child support?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 19, 2011, 11:48 AM
    She's legally obligated to pay or not pay based on what was ordered in the custody hearing.
    If her financial situation has changed, go back to court.
    rcmsw4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2011, 11:58 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    She was ordered by the court to pay $50 a week, and this was before she was receiving SSI and wasn't working. Now she claims that the SSI should be in lieu of child support, and that it is illegal for my son to be getting both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SSI benefits and Child Support for Adult Child. [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a parent can still be obligated to pay child support to a severely disabled adult child for the life of the child? (even if the child is receiving state benefits) we are in Cali...

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

How do you live after paying child support from your ssi benefits? [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to help my son, we live in KY and He really needs all the help he can get.. He pays 3/4 of his SSI ck every month in child support. I would like to find out if this is really legal.

May I File Taxes if Income only Consists of Child Support and SSI Benefits for my Chi [ 3 Answers ]

*This is actually for a friend of mine but I am going to write it in first person anyway.* Hopefully, someone will have some advise on my dilemma. I am unsure as to whether I need to feel taxes for 2007. Last year I was receiving cash aid up until August when I started receiving SSI Benefits...

View more questions Search