Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ernieis3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2011, 04:42 PM
    50 letters
    A secretary addresses 50 different letters and envelopes to 50 different people, but the letters are randomly mixed before being put into envelopes. What is the probability that at least one letter gets into the correct envelope?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2011, 10:22 AM

This is known as a derangement.

The probability that no letter ends up in its envelope is

This is the series for 1/e. So, for large N, the probability approaches around 37%.

So, for the probability that at least one gets in its envelope would be 1 minus the above.

About 63.2%
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Apr 19, 2011, 07:49 PM
    Comment on galactus's post
    Cool! I'd never heard of derangement before (at least not this particular definition - lol!).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is letters ? Types of letters ? Types of business letters [ 1 Answers ]

Letters ? Business leaters -types ?how it writes ?

Thank you letters! [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to write a thank you letter for the public to include in our companies first newsletter. I was wandering if anyone could tell me where I could find some templates or just a general ledger of how to! I am driving myself crazy over something so small, therefore getting nowhere! :confused:...

Letters from her ex. [ 4 Answers ]

Just hoping to get some advise from the board as I have posted here before and gotten good responses. I am a newly wed with a woman I love dearly. In the early stages of our relationship while dating she had to deal with "getting over" an ex boyfriend, at the same time she still told me how...

The Seven Letters [ 2 Answers ]

In the Book of Revelation, we are given seven letters to the churches. I just read an interesting article that ponders what such letters to today's churches might look like. If you're interested, it's here: Letters to the Church | Articles | BuildingChurchLeaders.com My question is what do...

Thank you letters [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone familiar with any sites that offering tips for writing thank you letters?

View more questions Search