Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    halibanana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2011, 03:13 PM
    I'm about to meet my boyfriend's daughter. Any tips?
    My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 2 years.. and you can say it's pretty serious. I'm 30.. and he's 39.
    He has a 10 year old daughter.
    His ex has the main custody and he sees his daughter almost every weekend.
    I'm his first serious girlfriend after the divorce.
    I've never been married nor have any kid of my own.

I'm freaking out.. I'm usually good with kids.. but meeting his daughter seems whole different story. I've never dated anyone with a kid before.
    My boyfriend isn't exactly helping either. He said that he's afraid that his daughter might hate him for having a girlfriend.. it's his first time introducing anyone to his daughter also.

The daughter has known about me for about a couple months now. His ex has a boyfriend too.. but hasn't introduced them yet either.

10 year olds.. aren't they entering that 'sensitive age'? What if she resents me? I'm worried that her feelings towards me might ruin the relationship between my boyfriend and I.

What is proper? What should I say to her? Is gifting okay? I heard she collects glass snowballs.. so I picked up one couple weeks ago when I was traveling.

What can my boyfriend or/and I do to help the situation?
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2011, 06:02 PM

Kids, like dogs, show them you’re afraid and they’ll take a bite out of you. Be yourself, smile, don’t expect too much and remember she is curious about you too. Don’t go overboard on the gifts and remember the time you put in getting to know her, and her you, is your gift to each other. Oh, and it’ll take more than a few weekends to get to know each other so give it time.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2011, 07:38 PM

Go to the library and get some books appropriate for her age. (Ask a librarian for help.) Show them to the daughter and give her a choice of which ones to read with you. Maybe you two can switch off reading paragraphs or pages, or maybe she will want you to read to her. Interrupt now and then to ask her questions or let her ask questions, and to talk about what you've just read.

Get some printer paper, crayons, and stickers that are objects -- animals and birds and people doing different things. On a sheet of paper (with her help), draw some hills and trees. Draw a sun and puffy clouds, plus a few flying birds. Draw a lake. Make waves and fish and reeds and rocks. Stick on stickers in various places. Tell a story about the picture.

Buy one or two jigsaw puzzles picturing girly things and put them together with her.

Buy some wild nail colors (purple? Burgundy? Orange?) and paint your and her nails. Maybe do your toenails too.

Bake a batch of brownies or cookies together (even if you use a box mix or one of those Pillsbury refrigerated dough rolls). Maybe decorate the cookies with sprinkles. Make her dad the taste-tester.

When you're at the library, pick up some craft books in the children's department. Look through them with the daughter and figure out what project you want to do next time she comes over.

She's at a delightful age -- not too smartypants yet but smart enough to have fun with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption of boyfriend's daughter [ 13 Answers ]

HI there, So as many of you have heard I am getting married next summer. I'm super excited. Well, he has a ten year old daughter I would like to adopt. I have many questions on the subject. First off, do we have to wait until we are married to do a legal adoption? Is it possible to get her...

My son is 3 and my boyfriend's daughter is 4. Can they share a room? [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfreind and his ex are in a custody battle. We are moving in together and right now he has joint custody of his 4 year old daughter so his daughter is with us for 3 days a week. I have full custody of my 3 year old son and everyone gets along great. His ex still wants him back and she doesn't...

How do I meet my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have just bumped into my daughter whom I have not seen since she was a very young baby. She is now 24 and working in a neighbouring town to me. I have always wanted to see her but the more years went by the harder it got to get intouch with my ex girlfriend. My daughter served me face to...

Boyfriend's daughter misses ex-girlfriend. [ 9 Answers ]

How do I tactfully tell my boyfriend that his daughter is hurting my feelings? She's 9, and I don't think she realizes that her telling me on a daily basis that she misses his ex-girlfriend hurts my feelings. But it does, how do I tell him without seeming like a whiner? They were together for a...

View more questions Search