Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neil1967 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2011, 08:14 PM
    Self-employed in CT, getting 1099 from PA, which state do I file in?
    I am struggling to find an answer to this question: I did computer contracting for a company in PA while a resident in CT. I got a 1099-MISC with my earning in Box 3 (Other Income). Do I have to file a PA return or since I'm considered self-employed, do I just file a CT return?

Thanks!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 17, 2011, 10:34 PM
    CT.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 19, 2011, 07:18 PM
    The source of the income does NOT determine where you file. You file taxes in the state where you live AND in the state where you work, unless the states have a reciprocity agreement.
    Indian CPA Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

May 20, 2011, 07:01 AM

You should be filing for both the states. PA and CT do not have a reciprocal agreement.

Indian CPA
    www.indiancpa.com
    Senior Tax Expert

May 20, 2011, 02:05 PM
    Indian CPA:

I disagree. Neil1967 only has a requirement to file in Connecticut if that is where he lived and worked. The Pennsylvania return wold be required ONLY IF he worked in PA and lived in CT, and then he would claim a credit on his CT return for the taxes paid to PA.
    Indian CPA Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

May 20, 2011, 02:22 PM

AtlantaTaxExpert:

From the original posting, it seems that he worked in PA and lives in CT. If that being the case, he needs to file for both the States.

Indian CPA
    Home - Indian CPA
    Senior Tax Expert

May 20, 2011, 04:36 PM
    It COULD be read that way; if so, then you are correct.

Neil has to clarify whether he physically WORKED in PA or if just the company was located in PA and he did the work in CT.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer says I am NOT self employed but IRS says I am from 1099 misc [ 11 Answers ]

Last year I received a 1099 misc with box 3 filled out from my employer - the IRS called me and said that I had to file that amount as self-employed... my employer says that I am not considered 'self-employed' but the IRS says that if that is the case my employer is filling out the wrong box...

How to file a 1099 self employed taxes and taxes in Georgia [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone . I had a few tax related questions . My husband is pretty much self employed , he is a permanent resident of the united states etc. we live in Georgia . We wanted to know how do we file a self employed tax paper and how do we figure the precentages we are a family of 4 . With 2...

Which state do I file my 1099-R? [ 5 Answers ]

I have received (2) 1099-Rs. One is for a loan that I defaulted when I left my company and moved out of state. The other is for the disbursement that I withdrew when I first arrived in my new state. I lived in PA for the first 4 months of 2007 and then moved to IL for the remainder of 2007. I'm not...

1099, filing as a self-employed contractor + more. [ 4 Answers ]

I moved to the USA from England around 15 months ago on a marriage visa. In 2006 I worked as a freelancer for the last 2 months of the year, and earned just enough to receive a 1099 form, but I filed jointly with my wife, who has a 'regular' job and had worked a full year. We received a tax refund...

File as married & self-employed: live in NY and do biz in Florida. Where do I file? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to NY in the beginning of 2007. I am a freelance designer and I do business with clients in New York and Florida. I receive 1099s from my clients, both in New York and Florida, but i am not sure were do I have to file. Could you please clarify this for me? Thank you.

View more questions Search