Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Apr 17, 2011, 05:19 PM
    Cooking an egg?
    Is there a special name to putting a little water in with your eggs and covering it... steam cooking it on the top?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2011, 05:21 PM

Hello h:

It's called basted.

excon

Apr 18, 2011, 05:44 PM
    Right on. Thanks.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2011, 05:46 PM

Hello again, h:

Now you can order 'em in a restaurant.

excon

Apr 18, 2011, 05:48 PM
    Well I like making them that way, just couldn't remember what they were called. Gives it a nice texture.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 18, 2011, 08:09 PM

Darnit, I actually new this one, but Exy beat me to it.

I myself prefer sunny side up, or scrambled with a bit of bacon and cheese. Mmmm.

Now I'm hungry. :(

Apr 19, 2011, 02:23 PM
    I'm hooked on eating these basted eggs over a pancake.
    Pets Expert

Apr 19, 2011, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    I'm hooked on eating these basted eggs over a pancake.
    With syrup, or without?

Ya, it sounds gross, but a basted egg, over a pancake, with syrup. Nom, nom, nom. :)

No, I'm not pregnant. ;)

Apr 19, 2011, 05:58 PM
    Haha... "nom nom nom". Actually I haven't used syrup with the eggs on top... I just make sure I butter the heck out of it before I lay that egg on.
    Pets Expert

Apr 19, 2011, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Haha..."nom nom nom". Actually I haven't used syrup with the eggs on top...I just make sure I butter the heck out of it before I lay that egg on.
    You should try the syrup. I know the thought of syrup on an egg is gross, but with the pancake, it really works. Of course you need the right syrup. Not Aunt Jemima, but real maple syrup. :)

Apr 19, 2011, 06:05 PM
    Oh, I swore off "yucky syrup" years ago. My real maple syrup doesn't last long at all... I'll walk by the fridge and take a swig every now and again ;) Real maple syrup goes good on anything... anything breakfasty anyway.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 19, 2011, 06:52 PM

I thought it was called poached?
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2011, 06:58 PM

Hello again,

Take it, Alty.

excon
    Pets Expert

Apr 19, 2011, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again,

Take it, alty.

excon
    Do I have to.

Poached and basted are similar. The difference is small. Basted is in a frying pan, add a bit of water, a bit of butter, then cover. Once done it looks like a sunny side up egg with white covering the yolk.

Poached is cooked in water, usually in little metal rings made especially for poaching an egg. When it's done the yolk is still yellow. It's basically steaming an egg to cook it lightly.

How'd I do Exy?

I just want to add, I'm not a pro on basting and poaching. Like I said before, I like my eggs sunny side or scrambled. I never cook them basted or poached, so don't take my word as egg gospel. ;)
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2011, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Poached is cooked in water, usually in little metal rings made especially for poaching an egg. When it's done the yolk is still yellow. It's basically steaming an egg to cook it lightly.

How'd I do Exy?
    Hello again, Alty:

You did great. I've never used those poaching rings, though. I think they basically steam the eggs which isn't technically poached.

In the restaurant, or even at home, I just break the eggs in a couple of inches of gently boiling water - enough to cover the tops of the eggs. I swirl the water first so they don't stick to the bottom. A couple drops of vinegar in the water will keep the whites together. Take them out with a slotted spoon after three minutes. They're beautiful.

excon
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 20, 2011, 03:37 AM

I do like poached eggs. Yesss sir ee, nothing better then a paoched egg on an English muffin with some hollindaise sauce.

Apr 20, 2011, 03:01 PM
    Ooooo... hollindaise sauce... haven't had that in awhile... never made it myself though.
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2011, 03:02 PM

My hollandaise sauce comes out of a pouch. Add water, butter, and cook for 5 minutes, and voilą. Love it.

We pour it over asparagus. Really yummy, and really the only way I'll eat asparagus. ;)
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Apr 20, 2011, 03:18 PM

I prefer honey to maple syrup.

But real maple syrup is tha bomb. And I bet you can get some reeeeally good local stuff in Canada...

EDIT: I can't have hollandaise anymore because I found out I'm lactose intolerant. *cry*
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2011, 03:24 PM

No hollandaise sauce? :eek:

Yup, we get some really yummy maple syrup here in Canada. Too many to choose from. Sad thing is, my kids prefer Aunt Jemima. :(

Hopefully they'll grow out of this. But what can you expect from people that think that Kraft macaroni and cheese is a gourmet meal? ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When a Recipe Calls for Using One Egg, What Size Egg Do They Mean? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, all! Okay, some recipes call for only one egg to use in the mix. This would usually be for when we might be baking something. What size egg do they mean, please? I'm the kind of person who likes to buy the jumbo ones! Thanks!

Cooking [ 2 Answers ]

My Grandmother used to make me homemade potato chips Anyone have a recipe or method for making homemade potato chips? Lshadylady

Cooking is . [ 3 Answers ]

Cooking is... A Good Way to Excel Creativity & Relaxation Fun & Enjoyable Interesting When I Have a Lot of Time Depressing as Every time I Want to Cook Something, Something Goes Wrong Absolutely Horrible & A Pain in the Butt to Me Which one or more do you identify...

Cooking for one? [ 8 Answers ]

Just a quick question: My husband is in the military and has been gone for the last 3 months, and won't be home for another month. It is hard enough to cook a meal for only 2 people, but when it is just me it is even harder! I normally cook big meals and bake a lot when he is home, but when it is...

I saw a ghost while frying an egg then the egg turned blood red! [ 6 Answers ]

I was cooking at my fiance's Grandparents old farm house. I was standing at the stove frying eggs and noticed something looking at me from the other room. I looked and saw a shadow like creature disappear behind a wall. I looked back at the pan and the eggs were blood red! I screamed and then...

View more questions Search