Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theo827 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Water pressure
    I just replaced a 2nd bathroom and put in all new copper pipes in that bathroom. Sense doing this job the water pressure in my upstairs shower as changed, but only when you flush a toilet or turn on another water source. This didn't happen before, why all of a sudden the drop in pressure? Can this be fixed?

Many thanks:o
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 24, 2007, 05:00 PM
    I guess the supply pipes are too small to handle the additional load - that is, when more that one fixture is being used at once. Ideally, you could do a repipe job, but that would be an expensive pain-in-the-@$$.

Moishe
    theo827 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 06:34 PM
    This is what I do not understand though. I had a bathroom in place already with existing pipes. Everything worked fine. You where able to have the washer going, washing dishes and take a shower at the same time with no noticeable pressure issues. Why, now all of a sudden after replacing a few pipes I can see a noticeable change in water pressure when more than one water activity is going on? It doesn't matter what the combination, there is now a noticeable pressure change.
    My water heater is about 11 years old and needs to be replaced. I know the house only had 1 1/2 bath when originally built. Could it be that the water heater is too small or too old? It is a 65 to 75 gallon gas water heater. Would the water heater have anything to do with this issue?

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2007, 07:27 PM
    More likely than anything else you knocked some crud loose and it is lodged somewhere blocking the shower. If you are lucky it is right at the shower and can be flushed out by removing the cartridge and briefly turning the water back on.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 28, 2007, 02:39 AM
    ... and it's not the water heater being too small - if that were the case, you'd simply run out of hot water quicker; the pressure would still be the same.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Moshie and labman both hit the nail on the head. You have a volume problem caused by attaching too many fixtures on a 1/2" branch, too small pipes in the system to carry the load or crud blocking the flow. Your water heater is abover the average size of 40 gals so that should not be a probloem. Regards. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Low water pressure from hot water tank [ 8 Answers ]

I drained my water supply when fitting new bathroom suite I have turn the mains water back on but I am not getting any pressure from the hot water taps the cold is fine

Water line replacement = entire house low water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a water line break in my front yard. The city replaced the line but ever since (immediately following the water being turned back on) the water pressure has been significantly lower throughout the house in both the hot and cold. I checked and the valve is completely open so I am...

House water pressure from well losing pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I have a well at my home that provides the primary water . I have replaced the well pump with a new one, the pressure tank was bad replaced it, pressure switch was bad replaced it. Now I cannot maintain pressure through out my house. The initial pressure is good for about 10 seconds then it slowly...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search