Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ritrlfl Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Apr 16, 2011, 08:52 PM
    Windows 7 home premium recovery disks
    I need the recovery disks for win 7. Am working on a clients computer who already made them but lost the disks. There are other ways I can recover his system but time doesn't permit this. Anyone with a link or can help me find free disks will be appreciated.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 10:56 PM

Microsoft Windows OEM disks will not be free. Recovery disks might be free (doubt it) but are computer vendor and model specific as they contain device drivers for the specific hardware in the computer as shipped. Suggest you contact the computer vendor or manufacturer. Using any other disks that might be found or be available would not be a proper rebuild in my opinion and your client would likely encounter further issues with the machine. If you are going to do it, take the time to do it well. I see several machines a week that have been "fixed at".
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2011, 06:08 AM

As scleros pointed out, Recovery disks are an image of the hard drive as it came from the factory. So it is specific to the machine.

Most manufacturers will send a replacement for a nominal fee.

However, most machines have a recovery partition that can be used to restore to factory settings. When you boot there should be a key combination to enter that partition.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Apr 17, 2011, 09:21 AM
    See if this helps, I can't check it I do not have a running 7 OS.

Code:
    http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1114725.htm
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Apr 17, 2011, 09:24 AM
    Comment on Appzalien's post
    A quarter of the way down on that page is this:

System Recovery discs can be created by going to the Recovery Center of the system. The whole process takes 4 DVDs and about 1 hour. In case you have some problem with your system, with the help of the recovery disks, you can go back to the original state of the system when it was brand new. All the problems will be solved for sure, but the data will be lost. So, care must be taken to take a backup.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2011, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    System Recovery discs can be created by going to the Recovery Center of the system. The whole process takes 4 DVDs and about 1 hour.
    Most systems only allow one set of disks to be created this way. The OP stated that the owner had already made them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which is better Vista Home Premium or Windows 7 Home Premium? [ 4 Answers ]

I have an HP Pavilion desktop that came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. I have had to run system recovery about 5 times since I bought it in 6/07. The back up system which initially worked doesn't and I have to back up files manually. It crashed again and I'm now having to do a recovery...

Widows 7 or Windows Vista home premium [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering since I have at least 1 laptop that I plan on re doing what should I put on for a operating system? It currently has Vista hp on it so would Windows 7 be a lot better?

Recovery disks [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sirs: Is it possible to buy or get recovery disks for my midwest micro computer that is 9 or 10 yrs. Old. I replaced the battery, but it didn't help. The computer is asking me to put in a start up disk that I don't have. We always used the computer just for games and never had it hooked up...

View more questions Search