Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Apr 16, 2011, 07:31 PM
    Egress Window Options
    I'm installing an egress window this summer. I will most likely go with one of the window wells by Bilco and use a casement window by Andersen. Since the window opens out and will stick up a foot above the ground, it will be pretty difficult to install a cover on the window well because the cover will prevent the window from opening.

I saw that a few companies make an egress window that opens in. This would allow me to still use a cover outside, but of course they're twice the price. Does anyone have experience with these windows?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 07:53 PM

First check with your local building department or fire department to see if they require egress windows to open in or open out. Most egress are sliders or double hung.

Apr 17, 2011, 04:36 AM

That's a good point. I knew I had to check with the building inspector for the size of the window, but I wasn't thinking of the window type. I really hope I can go with the casement style because then I should be able to keep the overall width of the window the same as the hopper that I have now. Makes for less cutting.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2011, 09:47 AM
    Are you talking casement or awning windows? This is a common "basement" issue, particularly with full below grade basements. In older houses, awning windows were common, set in a window well. Some locations allow in swing awning or casements, some don't. One of the issues you may face is how far above the floor the bottom of the window can be and how big the window must be. Most smaller awning and casement windows are too small for code. .
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Apr 17, 2011, 06:39 PM
    Emergency Escape and Rescue Openings are required by the International Residential Code.

Emergency Escape and Rescue Openings are required under that code since 2006 for all basements and bedrooms... and since 2009 to include all "habitable attics".

Grade level EERO windows are required to be no less than 5SF, be no less than 20" net clear width when open, and no less than 24" net clear height when open.

EERO windows above grade level must be a minimum of 5.7SF, be no less than 20" net clear width when open, and no less than 24" net clear height when open.

A door can satisfy energency scape and rescue requirements for all building stories/levels.

EERO windows can be double hung, casement, or single hung as long as the net clear opening, sill heights above finished floor, net clear opening and other requirements are satisfied.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 17, 2011, 06:42 PM

Great info but do you see if it must open in or out if it's a casement?
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Apr 17, 2011, 06:54 PM
    Under the International Residential Code, there is NO requirement for an emergency escape and rescue door or window to open 'out' or 'in'.

Nor is there any requirement that an emergencey escape and rescue opneing to be restricted to a double-hung, single-hung, awning, casement or any other type of window so long as the opening meets the minimum net clear width (20"), net clear height (24"), size(5SF grade level/5.7SF above grade level), and 44" maximum height above finished floor.

Apr 18, 2011, 03:22 AM

MA0641, I'm looking at a casement window, not an awning window. I also know that the finished window sill cannot be more than 44" above the finished floor. I'm aiming for about 40". As Manhattan was saying it doesn't matter what type of window I install just as long as it meets the minimum dimensions. A casement window will allow me to do that with the smallest overall window because the entire window opens.

Here is an example of an egress window that opens in: Egress windows by Unlimited, Inc.

The reason why I was looking into a window like this is so I could possibly put a cover over the window well. The window well will only be about 2 feet deep. I'm not too worried about kids falling in because the window well will not be deep. But I was trying to keep out animals and as much rain as possible. Right after I'm done with the egress window I will install a basement drainage system and I will tie in the window well drainage into that system.

Since the window will be partially above grade and partially below grade, a cover will not block out all rain but it should block most of it. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the extra $400 for the inswing window and cover.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2011, 01:36 PM
    Sounds like it will work, even if it costs $400 more. Sorry your question got in a pi**ing contest, this is a help desk, not code enforcement. We don't need some of the responses we've seen. Looks like our good monitoring members cleaned thing up.

Jul 26, 2011, 04:47 PM

It's a good thing I spoke with the building inspector. He said my town doesn't allow the type of window that swings in. I am almost done with the project and I'll be posting pictures soon. Thanks for all the help guys.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2011, 08:04 PM
    Comment on logan176's post
    Thanks for the follow-up. That's why egress doors open out-Life Safety Code, NFPA 101 I think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Egress Window and Well [ 4 Answers ]

Where would be the best place to purchase a 32"x42" Basement Egress Window of the Casement type along with a Window Well that meets the 9SF surface area to meet code in Ohio?? Any websites available?.

Basement egress windows [ 4 Answers ]

What makes an egress window different than a standard slider or double hung? What is best and money efficient why of installing?

Lighting for egress? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it required that in a new home there be a separate circuit for ligthing stairs, hallways and egress routes? How is that defined if so?

View more questions Search