Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dboyce5683 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2011, 02:19 PM
    Low water pressure-copper pipe-city pressure has been checked-pressure low at any fix
    Low water pressure copper pipe low at all fixtures and faucets.
    City has checked pressure. They installed new shutoff in streetalso.
    They checked meter and was OK.
    I am orignal owner feed from street is 3/4".copper house also.
    House built in 1972.
    Problem started 6 months ago.
    I am at whits end please help
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 03:50 PM

"City has checked pressure. They installed new shutoff in streetalso.
    They checked meter and was ok.
    " Did the city check the psi on your side of the meter, hope so caue that's where it counts. They should be supplying at least 40 psi after the meter
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 17, 2011, 03:04 PM

Do you have a pressure regulator ? Was there water turned off to the house recently ? Any repairs to the house recently ? Back to you. Milo

Apr 17, 2011, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by milo dolezal View Post
    do you have a pressure regulator ? Was there water turned off to the house recently ? Any repairs to the house recently ? Back to you. Milo
    No repairs

Water shutoff when meter was checked
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 17, 2011, 08:23 PM

Water shut off at the meter ? Here, make sure the valve is open all the way...

Apr 18, 2011, 08:06 AM

Dboy, try to answer my questions in post #2, thanks
    Safedollar Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2011, 01:47 PM
    You may need to repipe your entire house. If your pipes are galvanized and are almost 40 years old, this is very likely. To have someone come out and look in California or Southern Nevada, go to www.repipenow.com.

Apr 22, 2011, 01:53 PM

From the Op's post #1 "I am orignal owner feed from street is 3/4".copper house also.
    House built in 1972.
    " no galvanized pipes here, no dboyce either after the first post.

Apr 22, 2011, 02:00 PM
    Copper pipes can fail after 40 years also. In the Las Vegas area, they will fail after about 10 years because the water is so harsh. They will last about 30 years in California. You should get a good plumber to take a look at your pipes. Good luck.
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 22, 2011, 02:16 PM

Nothing lasts for ever, including copper. One of the advantages of copper was that it doesn't rust as it is case with galvanized pipe. But it fails too - just like any other material.

Nowadays, copper became very expensive. We are now using PEX tubing instead of copper. It is cleaner, a bit cheaper and installation is quicker. You may save about 10-20% on installation.

Your "low pressure" problem may be Volume Problem. Some valve didn't get open all the way or yoko is stuck inside valve in close position. Happens all the time. Also, meter valve may not be open all the way...

FYI: 3/4" main line is WAY too small to fee whole house....Should be at least 1".

Let us know what you've decided to do. Back to you. Milo

Apr 22, 2011, 03:47 PM

I posted my comment because a mention of galvanized pipes never took place. I have seen a copper pipe have a failure in 10 years but never a systematic failure of the piping itself, leaks happen at bad sweat joints most frequently. 50-100 years would be my minimum expectation if proper thickness pipes are used and they will not cause reduced pressure just before failure. Unless djoyce comes back with more info we are debating with each other and helping no poster.

Apr 22, 2011, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Do you have a pressure regulator ? Was there water turned off to the house recently ? Any repairs to the house recently ? Back to you. Milo
    Cooper pipe in basement floor had hole in it
    Discovered with a .stethescope

Apr 22, 2011, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dboyce5683 View Post
    Low water pressure copper pipe low at all fixtures and faucets.
    City has checked pressure. They installed new shutoff in streetalso.
    They checked meter and was ok.
    I am orignal owner feed from street is 3/4".copper house also.
    House built in 1972.
    Problem started 6 months ago.
    I am at whits end please help
    Water leak found in concrete floor
    Discovered with a stethe scope

Apr 22, 2011, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I posted my comment because a mention of galvanized pipes never took place. I have seen a copper pipe have a failure in 10 years but never a systematic failure of the piping itself, leaks happen at bad sweat joints most frequently. 50-100 years would be my minimum expectation if proper thickness pipes are used and they will not cause reduced pressure just before failure. Unless djoyce comes back with more info we are debating with each other and helping no poster.
    Water leak found in basement floor

With a stethescope
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2011, 07:33 PM

Hello Safedollar,

Welcome to this website.

Dboyce,

The two Best and experienced Plumber (Ballengerb1 and Milo) has given you excellent advices, and I am glad that you discovered the leak, good luck.

Thanks,
    John

Apr 23, 2011, 07:54 AM

Thanks John but Milo is the plumber, I'm just a handyman installer
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2011, 10:06 AM

Hello Bob, Whatever you are great, I have learned a lot from you guys (Tom wish him quick recovery, Mark, Milo, and some others), wish you all the best, Thanks.

Best Regards,
    John

Apr 26, 2011, 09:25 AM
    A slab leak in a copper pipe is usually from flexible, thin walled flexible copper pipe being installed, then the concrete poured over it. This is a common problem we encounter. People will often patch one occurrence only to have it happen again and again. If this is the case, the solution will be to repipe, running new pipes through the walls and bypassing the slab altogether.

I hope this isn't the case with you. Good luck.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2011, 11:28 AM

Question from amateur: When pipe is installed below a slab, I thought it was supposed to be protected from the concrete, either by being buried a few inches in dirt or by being routed through plastic. Is that sometimes not done?

Apr 26, 2011, 02:49 PM

No jlisenbe that is how we do it, buried in gravel and then concrete. We never pour directly on pipe, supply or drain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How fix low cold water pressure in shower? [ 1 Answers ]

The hot water pressure is fine in both showers. The cold water pressure is fine in one shower, but in the other, the amount of cold water has gradually gotten to be less and less. Now it is barely a trickle. My plumber says he would have to tear out a wall to fix it. Is there any other solution?

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

How can I fix low water pressure in condo? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a three story/18 unit condo building. I was notified that the water would be shut off one particular day. Before that day I had less than desirable water pressure but now it is nonexistent. Iwas told that it was probably just gunk built up in the pipes. If that is the case how do I fix it?

Can I fix my low water pressure? [ 5 Answers ]

The water pressure in my house has always had problems. If someone is in the shower we cannot turn on any other water source or the person in the shower gets scalded or frozen. Recently we installed a fridge with ice and water now our water pressure is very low. Is there a way to cure this? The...

Told to close to water tank by city low pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Biulding a new home told by the city I will only have 15 lbs water pressure as I am to close to the city water tank.. what's the best way to fix this problem use... inline booster pump or use a booster pump and a bladder tank in the basement?? Thanks for any ideas and help... Bob

View more questions Search