Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LARRYPEED Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 12:15 PM
    401k taxes and penalties on 53,000?
    I have loss my job by a lay off but found a new job and want to cash out my 401K I have $52,842.00 in there how much taxes do I have to pay ? And out of that amount what will I clear ?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2011, 02:37 PM

Larry, a tax expert will be along shortly to answer. I was just wondering if you've considered rolling over your 401k? Since your back to work a rollover might be the best bet. Good luck
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 18, 2011, 12:59 PM

If you cash out your 401(k) you will have to pay:

(a) Federal income tax on the $52,842 of income. The amount you owe is dependent on your tax bracket, so it's impossible to guess, but keep in mind that this amount is added to your ordinary income so it may push you into a higher tax bracket than you are used to. It may also cause you to lose some of the deductions and credits that you may otherwise be eligible for. But for grins lets just guess that 25% goes to federal income tax.

(b) State/local income taxes - which depend on the state and municipaility you live in. Let's guess about 5% for that.

(c) Early withdrawal penalty, which is 10% of the withdrawal.

Add it up and you get about 40%going to taxes and penalty. Which leaves 60% for you. So you will clear about $30K. However, be aware that the administrator will withhold only 20%, so when you get the check don't spend it all, because you're going to owe more than that.

A agree with parttime - why cash out the 401(k) since you have found another job? You'd be much better off either leaving it or doing a direct rollover from your old company's plan to an IRA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k taxes/penalties [ 2 Answers ]

I am losing my job and want to start flipping houses. In order to do this I need money to pay for my mortgage for at least a year (piece of mind will be priceless). I was thinking about taking money from my 401K when I roll it over to an IRA. I know their are penalties associated with this but I...

Taxes and penalties on 401K (Hardship) [ 1 Answers ]

We withdrew money from our 401K this year because my husband lost his job and we have medical bills that exceed 7.5% of our taxable income. Here are my questions... 1) I understand that the PENALTY will be waived due to the medical hardship, but will we still have to pay taxes on this money? ...

Penalties and taxes on 401k distribution [ 2 Answers ]

In order to finance my child's college education I took a loan on my 401K of 60K. During the next calendar year, I lost my job and the distribution was considered income for my 2006 taxes. I incurred both penalties and taxes which totalled 18K. Since my income places me in a bracket where...

401k penalties and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

If I decide not to roll over my 401k what will the tax % and penalty % be?

401k Taxes & Penalties [ 1 Answers ]

I am 56 years old and am close to losing my job. I have approximately $21,000 in a 401k plan with my current employer. Will I be excluded from the 10% penalty because of my age? Will the entire amount of my withdrawal be treated as income for the year I receive the withdrawal?

View more questions Search