Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgundberg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2011, 07:48 PM
    How can I get my 8 years old to listen to me?
    She is really mouthy, and doesn't want to listen and I am having trouble with her. My other 4 kids listen. What should I do?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2011, 08:05 PM

For one, quit comparing her to your other children. That will only make it worse.

When does she listen and when does she not? Is there a pattern? A time of day?

Is she still taking naps or rest time in the afternoons?

Please give more detials
    jgundberg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 05:16 PM
    She gets mouthy a lot. She doesn't take naps she is 8 years old. I feel like she starts arguments for attention, but I am not sure what to do about it. It sometimes turns in to her screaming at me and her siblings. I am having a real hard time with her.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2011, 05:54 PM

What do you mean by she doesn’t take naps?
    Are we talking about afternoon naps?

Sounds like you have to be more firm. Take something away for bad behaviour and give a small reward for good behaviour.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2011, 08:15 PM

I know a lot of parents stop nap time/rest time after school starts. But for some kids (my 7 year old included) it really does help to lay down and rest (watching a movie or simply resting) for an hour after school, or after lunch on the weekends.

Its something to think about, maybe try?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2011, 03:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jgundberg View Post
    She gets mouthy alot. she doesn't take naps she is 8 years old. i feel like she starts arguments for attention, but i am not sure what to do about it. it sometimes turns in to her screaming at me and her siblings. i am having a real hard time with her.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head, she's looking for ATTENTION, and she's getting it, probably not the kind of attention she really wants, but she's getting YOUR attention.

With 4 other children I understand that its difficult to give individual attention on a daily basics, not to mention the 100 other jobs to have to do everyday.

You need to try and allocate a time that is just her and you, a positive time slot, find out what she likes, there's no shame in not knowing if you don't. Then find some time to do that with her, whether it's a sport, or doing her hair or playing with her, I think perhaps she'll take whatever you suggest, even going for a walk to the shop, just you and her.

Sit down with her at a quite time and talk to her, tell her you love her, say the words, give her a hug, ask her how's things are going in school, ask about her friends, her teachers, and plan something with her, just the two of you.

Being a parent is hard work, giving them all attention is hard,but it is what it is.

Have a family night, popcorn and a film,make it part of the week, pull out a duvet and everyone cuddle up on the couch, make it the law in your house that everyone is home at that time, no exceptions... being together as a family will give her,you and the other children the feeling of a secure base and something to look forward too every week.

Get them to help cook dinner, play a board game with them.

It takes time but the rewards are life long.

My eldest is 19 nearly 20 and one of her favourite childhood memories was family night.

The dishes in the sink will still be there if you can take a few minutes to sit and check in with her and see how she's doing.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2011, 12:25 PM

I aboslutely agree with red.

In addition, when she is throwing her fits and acting out, leave no room for arguments, anytime she tries to argue or whine or throw a fit, cut her off and let her know it is NOT up for discussion, and she WILL do as you say. If she continues, put her in time out. Let her scream cry and throw a fit for as long as she likes, so long as she STAYS in time out (a corner a chair whatever you choose)

This has been working for my daughter who has recently taken to arguing and whining when she doesn't get her way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I just need someone to listen to me [ 10 Answers ]

I have a lot of stuff on my mind, I'm having a lot of family problems, and just need to vent. Weather you can offer advise or not, it don't matter I just need to talk. Ty:(

Will someone listen to me? [ 7 Answers ]

I need someone to listen and help me through my very difficult time. I don't however want the whole world knowing my problems though. I need someone strong (emotionally and mentally) to listen and give advice. The things I am struggling with is very difficult and the person I will talk to needs to...

All I need is someone to listen for a while [ 3 Answers ]

There comes a time in a mans life when he realizes that no matter what he does or what he says nothing about him, weather that's inside emotions or outward expressions will change. With that comes the answer that he no longer needs to be. I am now at that point. I no longer fear death, I don't...

I know I shouldn't listen but? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, my name is Brittney and I have been with my boyfriend for about a year now. I love him I am sure of it, but a lot of people tell me that it is only 'puppy love' and then when I go off to University our relationship is going to fall apart. I am 18 and my boyfriend is 17, he is in...

View more questions Search